Sickle Cell and Birth Control

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello everyone, I am a 20 year old African American female seeking advice on different birth control options. I have Sickle Cell Disease (SC) and my doctor has deined me birth control because of my condition. I am wondering what birth control options I may have? Is there any pill/shot that works well for any women with sickle cell?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

not a dcotor but depro-provera mey be prefered sincce it reduces the frequency of painful crisis in women with sickle cell. why not use a diaphram, vaginal ring. they might be some for reason of denial of other forms of brithcontrol medications.
  • Posted

I would strngly recommend not taking any form of birth control. I took birth control for several years and developed a second autoimmune disease due to them. 
    • Posted

Dear Shev43830, I am not sure what you mean, "a second autoimmune disease." Sickle cell is NOT an autoimmune disease at all, but an inherited abnormal form of hemoglobin. And there are plenty of forms of birth control besides "the pill" that might cause no problems for you, so keep an open mind. Choosing "not any form of birth control" may result in unintentional preganacies or sexually-transmitted diseases that birth control could prevent.
  • Posted

Maya - I can't imagine your doc has "denied you birth control" but rather has refused to write a prescription for a specific form of b.c. (likely "the pill") that he/she believes would be medically not good for you. This is probably because of concerns over a rare side effect of The Pill, blood clots, which might (or might not) be more common in women with SC. However, there's actually little or no evidence that this is a specific problem in SC patients. Your doc (and you) might want to review the actual evidence for this - a lot of it is available online to patients. He/She should have given you alternative forms of b.c. that could work for you. If not, maybe you need another doc rolleyes

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.