Sickly feeling after stopping Propranolol, maybe unrelated?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi all. I've read a lot of propranolol threads, which in a way wasn't helpful as I think a lot of people work themselves up with health anxiety (I can say that cause im one of them).

A couple of weeks ago my doctor and I decided it was time to take me off Propranolol. I was taking 80mg ER capsules daily for about 6 months for panic/anxiety. I knew this dosage combined with the fact i have no heart or blood pressure issues meant I would have no serious withdrawal, and my doctor wanted me to stop abruptly saying that nothing bad would happen. To be on the safer side and make things more pleasant I decided to switch to IR tablets and take 30mg (10mg 3x daily) for a week, then did 10mg for one day, then stopped completely. I had a lot of anxiety during this but no other issues.

It's been 4 days since my last tablet and for the last 3 I've been feeling lousy. The first 2 days I experienced some heart rate overshoot, to be expected. I took it easy, skipped my usual exercise and have not been checking my monitor as obsessing over it would make it worse. It wasn't distressing as I have learned how to handle physical sensations but it was quite strange feeling. That has since calmed significantly but not fully. The last couple of days however I've felt run down: less appetite, fatigue, vivid dreams, and a dizzy/nauseous sensation. These are things I haven't really seen reported so I very well could be getting a cold or something but the timing says otherwise. Usually I would pin it to my anxiety but I am not as anxious as i expected to be coming off the tablets.

I guess I'm wondering if anyone else who was objective (I don't mean to demean anyone, but mistaking anxiety symptoms for health ones is unfortunately just part of having a disorder) throughout their withdrawal had similar things? It's all in the realm of normalcy but I'm hoping it gets better soon as exercise is important to my mental health so I'd like to get back out running. The heady symptoms are the most annoying — I can handle everything else.

I've read as much literature on propranolol as I can (reassurance seeking, hello!) and i understand that the truly bad withdrawals are seen at much higher dosages and in patients with differing histories to my own, but there's little data out there about the mild experiences others have. Most people not on forums i have spoken to had no issue abruptly stopping, so I do understand that there's a possible psychosomatic element to it. But the sicky feeling is quite real, lol, so if anyone has an experience of how long I can expect it to last im all ears

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

I'm about 4 weeks out from my last pill. It took me several months to wean off of 60 mg. I've experienced crushing fatigue, nausea, spike in heart rate, hot flashes, and dizziness. Some days I feel completely normal. Other days I feel like I'll never get back to normal. One day at a time. I have found that CBD can help with the high heart rate. Please let me know how you're doing.

• Posted

can you tell me how long you were on propranolol? i was on for 2 weeks and felt awful so ive been off of it for 2 weeks but i am still struggling. i do have a few good days, then like you i have days where i fell like i will never feel normal again! how are you feeling now?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.