Sickness and Pain for 6 months

Posted , 2 users are following.

I’m desperate for answers and I wonder if anyone here has a similar issue.

I’m a 33 year old, normally healthy male.

About three months ago I suddenly had what I thought was food poisoning one Sunday afternoon. It was a feeling of terrible nausea that stayed that way for about a week. Since then the feeing has never quite gone away, and sometimes (three/four times per week) it goes up to an intensity that puts me to bed. Heartburn can often accompany the nausea, but it’s the sickness feeling, almost like a travel sick sensation, that is debilitating. Sometimes I can link it to foods that make it worse; heavy fats, lots of wheat, things that are very sweet. Alcohol seems to set it off too.

I'm taking 20mg Omeprozole

About 18 months ago I had a severe bout of Shigella. This went undiagnosed for some time and so the bacteria was living within me for some months. I wonder if this has something to do with my current issue.

So far I’ve had investigations into gallstones, an X-ray, CT Scan, multiple blood tests, and today an endoscopy. Ruled out are cancer, stomach ulcer, hiatus hernia, polyps, gallstones, blood conditions.

The remaining things to look into seem to be: a general gastritis brought on by the shigella, a food intolerance of some sort.

I am at a loss and my life is being taken over by this condition. The GP surgery is inconsistent with its care and I’m often seen by a new person every time I go. If anyone reads this and thinks they may relate or suspect it would be really helpful to hear from you. Thanks!

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

hi robert, i think this shigella thing you had could have caused a gastric type complaint that has caused the non-stop nausea. you may need to see the same doctor and try to get through a decent dietician, who may be able to help you properly. eat really bland foods, put down your symptoms on paper and see if there is a pattern. there could be something really simple that you having that is causing this. what is shigella, ask you chemist they may know more about it than your doctors. you could try the symptom checker on here.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.