Sickness with Ankylosing Spondylitis

Posted , 4 users are following.

My dad (68) has Ankylosing Spondylitis and sadly has had for many years. It is gradually getting worse. He plays alot of golf, which helps (sometimes hinders). If he doesnt exercise (golf) or over does things then he becomes really ill - aching terribly and also severe sickness. Doctors have said this is due to toxins being released. Does anyone else experience this? Any suggestions to help please? Thanks

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Clare had mine for about four years now diagnosed in 2013, I too play golf alright whilst playing it's after when I get back home never had sickness thoe so feel for your dad it's a horrible thing this as, I'm still young enough where I can work I'm 52, even work is hard I work on new houses painting ok for about three hours then back goes right leg starts throbbing ankle blah blah this is daily , I bet like your dad golf is the only thing that takes the mind off the pain wonder if they will ever find a proper cure tell your dad , every time he hits a shot to imagine it's the as he's hitting may get more yards out if his shots
  • Posted

HI Clare, will be 62 this yr.  Have had AS for a while.  Neck problems for 20 yrs, psoriasis for 15 yrs, Uveitis for 5yrs.  I worked 12 yrs in the oil fields of west Texas ('70s and early '80s) where I had several injuries to my neck and back (resulted in extended hospital stays}.  As I got older and started having neck and back problems, I attributed them to wild days on the rigs.  My neck is completely fused. I drink via a straw and if something is directly overhead, I have to walk some before it is in my field of view.  Before Humira, I had horrrible hip and lower back pains.  Felt as though my left kidney would explode.  I do sit ups so I can breathe.  My stomach was too big and taking up space my lungs needed.  I can't feel my rib cage move no matter how deep of breath I try and take.  Walking is not so good.  I ride my bicycle twice a week.  Headaches from straining to look ahead instead of down.  Flexeril has helped a little.  Not feeling well is now the norm.  Don't know if I have enough yrs left to get use to the "norm".
  • Posted

Oh honey I be surprised if everyone with AS doesn't experience the same thing. It's so hard to stop yourself when you are having a good day. My son has been surfering with this terrible disease since he was 7 and I got diagnosed when I was 30. I wish your loved one the best of luck and tell him to enjoy his good days sadly they don't happen enough.
  • Posted

Thanks all for your replies. I'm going to get my dad to register with the site so he can know he's not the only one. Thanks again and I wish you all many 'good' days

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.