Side affects of 40mg carbimazole

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello ladies,

So I finally got to see the endo and she's put me on 40mg of carbimazole. I was previously on 15mg a day.

This seems like a lot to me?! Has anyone had any side affects from taking this amount? I'm a bit nervous to start it to be honest rolleyes

My last 3 results were 46, 35 and then 29 if this makes sense to anyone?

Act help/advice would be appreciated.

Thanks x

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi I was put on 40mg to start with and then

They reduced it after time now I've been off

Them for 4months as my thyroid is normal

At the moment but I'm suffering from fine

Rashes on belly then my neck and now

My face not sure if it's to do with graves or not

• Posted

Hi lovely lady this has just happened to me. I was on 10 my and now raised to 40mg. I did get few headaches for a week but this week seem to be fine. If you have been told u need to take 40 then obviously for reason. My doctor said side effects usually last no more than 2 weeks. U may have none. Good luck x
  • Posted

Maggie,

I would be concerned about the rashes and would see your doctor as soon as possible. I have had two serum sickness reactions, (severe allergic reactions) one of them 2 weeks after I finished an antibiotic, This last one manifested as a rash all over my body. This last reaction required a week of steroid medication (Prednisone) to stop it. Many doctors are not familiar with serum sickness and therefore do not diagnose or treat it properly so I would raise the question with your doctor and ask him/her if he/she thinks this is what you have. An Immunologist would know for sure if this is what you have and there are blood tests that can be done to diagnose it.

• Posted

I wouldn't think you would need to be on more carbimazole than it takes to keep your resting pulse at 80 beats per minute, and I think that big of a jump in how much you take is very unusual.

I got itchy palms and feet at taking less than that of methimazole, not to mention typical hypothyroid symptoms.

• Posted

Only main problem I have is my heart rate is like sky high. But all my other dump tons have seemed yo calm down
  • Posted

****SYMPTOMS!! Lol sorry x
  • Posted

If you are still having an elevated heart rate while on carbimazole, your doctor should add Propranolol to your treatment. Also, as I have posted to this Board before, adding Acetyl-L-Carnitine (amino acid from Health Food store) to your regimen will cause your thyroid values to normalize and you will then be able to decrease the Carbimazole. You will also feel better.
  • Posted

Thank you ladies for the replies. I started on the 40 mg and have been having bad heart palpitations! The doctors just did a heart trace (hours later when it had calmed down) and said there was no underlying heart problem and it was just my thyroid causing it. I'm going to mention the propranolol and see if they'll give me this to help. My resting heart rate is between 90-110. I'll also get to my local health food shop, thanks for the info smile

Thanks again xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.