side effects

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi,

I have been taking Bisoprolol 1.25mgs for 11 weeks since I had my AVR. On day 10 I experienced tingling and numbness in face, ear, arm, hand this has continued to happen at first it frightened me and I consulted my GP who felt it was caused by the trauma of the surgery as my body was in shock!

I saw my surgeon yesterday and discussed it with him, he states that I am on such a low dose that he feels it is not the bisoprolol it will be damage/trauma to the nerves in my neck due to the position

that we are placed in during surgery, especially when they have to put the tube down your throat !

But I forgot to tell him about the muscle weakness that I have experienced twice in my hand! Have others experienced any weakness? And do you agree with what my surgeon says about it not being the Bisoprolol?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi there , yes the doc is so right - had my valve repair in January and had the numbness in hands and feet etc. for a few weeks but it has now disappeared - all due to the damaged nerves and position we have to be put in  for 5 hours!!!  Also had spaced out feelings a lot and dizzy spells,  but again all that has gone. I have a fast heartbeat but am unable to take bisoprolol as the combination of that and furosemide gave me worst attack of diverticulitis I have ever had (lost a stone in weight!). Try not to worry, all these things will gradually improve, it is a huge operation and will take awhile to get back to normal.  Best wishes to you.
    • Posted

Thanks linda346

it is always comforting to hear from others who have been through the same experience!

i too have the dizzy spaced out feelings . I have had 1diagnosed episode of A-Fib but my HR isn't fast it goes between 58 -80 it does go higher during activity but resumes fairly quickly. Good luck with your continued recovery.

• Posted

Tinglig hands was one of my side effects from taking 1.25mg. It stopped when I went over to Verapamil. This is for SVT.
    • Posted

Hi,

thanks for your reply,I really appreciate this forum.

I am seeing my cardiologist on the 12th and will discuss my symptoms.

but a lot of people taking bisoprolol do seem to experience this problem.

• Posted

Hi, sorry to hear what you are experiencing. From memory none of your syptoms that you mention have been mentioned previously in the forum about the effects of Bisoprol.

It is in my opinion different circumstances and what drugs one takes, as if you read the leaflet that comes with each drug you will see what possible side effect that they can cause, which effects some people and not others.

My wife has had all manor of effects which up until last week we thought was due to the drugs she is taking, but it turns out that she has an over active thyroid which is causing, tiredness, aching limbs, giddyness etc.

So sometimes one has to look a bit further to find out what is causing the problems.

Regards Ken.

• Posted

Hi Ken,

thanks for your reply.

The leaflets that are provided with prescribed drugs show info that is collated during the clinical trials only, 

when I started on bisoprolol I put my symptoms into Google and that is how I found "Bisoprolol Buddies" and I was reassured that I wasn't alone in experiencing these symptoms following AVR.

but yes you are right and these symptoms can be due to other issues.

I hope your wife is feeling better now that she has been correctly diagnosed.

• Posted

I guess some could be super sensitive, although it is a low dose and when I was on this strength, I noticed no side effects, only when it was increased to 7.5 mg.  Certainly a feeling of muscle weakness is what many experience, though mostly under the description of general fatigue and not specific areas of the body.   I did however, experience pins and needles in my hand at one time but didn't track it down and it has since stopped.  I would continue to complain if the symptoms persist.
  • Posted

After my AVR in May 2012 I had a numbness from my left hip going across my buttock to my coccyx. It has very gradually faded but for a small spot in my lower back to about where my buttocks meet.

When first out of bed I had a feeling going from my right hip/buttock area and through my body giving me a light headed/faint feeling that made me have to hold on to something for a moment until it wore off. That continued to happen on standing up for quite some time.

The operation also caused me to go into atrial fibrillation. The cardioversion done in hospital did not get me back into rhythm but a second one three months later did. A few days after surgery I had to have one lung drained of fluid.

I had a multitude of side effects but it was impossible to pin down the source as well as the beta blocker I was taking Losartan, Amiodarone, Warfarin and Alpha blocker Tamsulosin for my enlarged prostate and a Statin. My blood sugar levels were somehow also affected after surgery and I was prescribed Metformin. I stopped the Metformin as it gave me ulcer like stomach pains.

I was also developing and unsteady gait due to the Amiodarone.

I found differences in advice from the surgical team at the hospital where i had my operation to the cardiologist at my local hospital.

In the next month you should be starting to feel the beneifits of the operation and be able to do a lot more.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.