Side effects

Posted , 5 users are following.

do the headaches and stomach discomfort go away after you have been on Coumadin awhile? What can be taken with the Coumadin to lessen these side affects.  Headache, cramping and heartburn.  Ugh!!! I'm in afib and am on 5mg each day 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I'm in just the same situation. Been on warfarin 3 weeks and suffering with an awful rash on my head and neck, headache and pins and needles and heavy aching in my legs.

Have you tried the NOACs? Sadly I've tried 3of them and found them much worse than warfarin but some people find them to have no side effects. So far i have not seen any sign of thevside effects going away.

• Posted

Thanks for responding.  I'm taking one day at a time with this. Praying for patience!!

• Posted

Hi Mary - I take Tylenol (acetaminophen) which my pharmacist said is the only pain medication safe to take with Coumadin (I'm currently at 4mg coumadin daily). Taking Motrin (ibuprofen) or anything with aspirin greatly increases the chance of internal bleeding since the anticoagulant already makes you bleed more easily. Hope this helps and hope you feel better soon.

• Posted

Hi Mary

i was diagnosed with bilateral pulmonary emboli early a March and spent one week in hospital where I was put on clot busting drugs to thrombolise the clots. I was put on warfarin and after about two weeks started to get constant headaches. I was then switched to sinthrome where my migraine got progressively worse. My haematology consultant said that anticoagulants do not cause migraine to which I disagreed as I never suffer from daily many migraine in my life. My gp asked could I be put on daltaparin injections daily as they didn't affect me when I had to take them when my INR level dropped below my tap target range. I have now been on daltaparin injections daily and low and behold no migraine which proved that the warfarin and sinthrome caused them. Don't put up with headaches. Ask could you try daltaparin injections only and see how you get on. They are more expensive on the NHS than warfarin. My IRN level was really difficult to get stable on warfarin whereas the daltaparin injections don't affect your INR level. They work in a different way. 

• Posted

My husband was recently put on warfarin for a clot he suffered. He has had constant headaches, indigestion and very lethargic. The Dr. Is switching him over to zeralto, hopefully this will help. The warfarin contains rat poison, not a lethal dose of course but why would we even put something like that in our bodies? Good luck to you Mary and hope you find some relief soon.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.