Side effects

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi

Been on ven for a month. 150mg for 6 days. Not sure if it is working yet.

My question is my resting heart rate is at leadt 100 bpm. I do have a high resting heart rate normally but not that high. Is this normal ?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

Your heart rate is governed by a division of your autonomic nervous system. This, the sympathetic division, controls the things you can't control consciously. Among these are, for example, your breathing rate and vomiting.

The sympathetic is well known for being affected by adrenaline - it forms part of the human fight - flight response mechanism.

Your higher than usual heart rate could be an anxiety - driven function that's part of your response to taking Venlafaxine.

Such a function isn't under your conscious control. It's more than likely that, as the medication continues to establish it's positive effect, your heart rate will revert to a speed normal for you.

Assuming you've been checked out and have no heart problems, you can easily sustain a rate of 100bpm and more with no ill effects at all.

• Posted

Thanks for your reply.

I do not understand how increasing adrenaline can do anything to decrease anxiety ?

• Posted

I didn't say this.

I said, 'The sympathetic is well known for being affected by adrenaline.'

In fact, an increase in adrenaline triggers the fight-flight response and therefore increases anxiety. Given that an adrenaline increase can have upleasant effects, this tends to become a vicious circle. The adrenaline causes such effecst, which increases the anxiety level. This in turn increases causes still more adrenaline to be released and so on...

• Posted

Has your thyroid been checked lately? An overactive thyroid can cause the pulse to go race, restlessness, agitation, amongst other things.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.