Side Effects

Posted , 3 users are following.

I took a 20mg yesterday. My first time and I thought I was going to die. I got really anxious my head was spinning my heart was racing and I was so tired. I woke up last night around 11pm and my back felt like it was on fire. How long will these side effects last? I took one of my pills and broke it in half this morning. I can't handle that feeling. It scared me so bad.

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi Rachel. I'm sorry you're feeling so yucky. The side effects can be pretty rough, particularly at that dose. If your doctor is okay with it, I would stick with taking half the dose, until you feel better. You may even find that 10 mg is enough for you. I've been on lexapro twice now and side effects lasted no more than a couple of weeks both times. For me, it's a miracle drug. I hope it works the same for you.

• Posted

I am on day 4 now. 3 days now on 10mg and I am sweating dizzy when I stand up. Is there anything I can so to ease the side effects? I am trying to get through the first few weeks but it is scary when I am home by myself.
    • Posted

Drinking lots of water can help, especially with the dizziness and headaches. For me, the worst of it lasted for about 8-10 days. Then the side effects slowly started to go away and I also started feeling the positive effects of the medicine. I had dizziness, flu-like feelings, was jittery, had palpitations. Those were the worst. While you're going thru it it feels like it's lasting forever. But if you can just stick it out a little while longer, hopefully you will start to notice some positive results. Hang in there.

• Posted

Thank you jennifer0204. I am on day 5 now. I woke up with my heart racing and hot but cold at the same time. I took my escitalopram at 6am. I went back to sleep till 10am. Now I am anxious again no racing heart just feel kinda of scared to leave my bed and have to keep a wet rag by my side to wipe my face. The rag seems to calm me a little bit.
    • Posted

Some people find that keeping a journal helps, so they can see how things improve. That never worked for me bc it just made me obsess more about my symptoms, but you might want to give it a try. Also - I have much better luck taking my pill at night. You might find that if you take it before bed, you can sleep thru some of the side effects.
    • Posted

I think I am going to try to take it at night. Last night I was so cold but kept waking up full of sweat. I don't think I even slept that much last night. My husband said all I did was tossed and turned last night and I just took my medicine 30 minutes ago and I am tired.

• Posted

I am feeling great today. Just had to get through the first 2 weeks. I hope to feel like this everyday. Day 15
  • Posted

hello rachel , 

i took my 10 mg of escitalopram 30 mn ago mainly for constant tension headache as i tried prozac before and it fixed my anxiety and now i need to go thru those nasty side effects again i will tell you how i'm feeling ! hope it work for both of us 

• Posted

Just stick with it. Once the side effects subsided I feel great.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.