Side effects

Posted , 4 users are following.

I'm sorry if this has already been discussed on this forum before. I am just wondering whether other people have been feeling the same side effects as me after taking citalopram (10mg)?

I have been on and off these tablets for over a year, but just recently started on them. I have been on them for over 8 weeks now. I have regular tummy aches, poor appetite (I don't feel hungry at lunch time) and my other half has mentioned that I have a low / non-existent sex drive. I still don't feel 100% and I can get very teary over nothing. I don't want to push my other half away. Any success stories on this would be most helpful. 

Thanks in advance :-) 

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

lisa,

I am sorry to hear of your current struggles. I was on Citalporam 20mg for a year. While it did help in some areas, it didn't seem to do enough, so my doctor has been tapering me off. I am down to 10mg right now.

As far as your symptoms go, you are 100% accurate. Nausea, loss of appetite, loss of sexual desire, etc. are all side effects of the medicine. Some should subside over time. Not to be too personal, but the lack of sex drive seemed to be the one big constant with me and can be troublesome.

• Posted

Thanks for your response, it is reassuring to hear that I am not the only one that feels like this! I know you can read the side effects online and on a piece of paper but it doesn't feel the same as actually hearing it from others. 

I already feel rubbish as it is, so I don't want to push my partner away too. I hate feeling like this. 

How are you feeling now that you are on 10mg? Do you mind me asking what are the next steps for you if the doctor is weaning you off the citalopram? 

• Posted

To be quite honest lisa, the taper has been horrible and I feel much worse. My doctor feels that I need to go back up to the 20mg. I didn't shake as much or have the strange head feelings as bad on 20mg, but as I mentioned.......it did affect my desire to be intimate. So, I'm kind of caught in a tough spot. Do I go back to the 20mg and still not feel great and not have an interest in sex or do I continue at 10mg and have to deal with these horrible physical symptoms? UGH!

• Posted

Make your process on the decrease dose of ten easier by asking your doctor for a short term diazapam or xanex...why suffer...
    • Posted

lois,

Thank you for the advice. But, I have been down to 10mg for 9 weeks now and the symptoms have just gotten worse over the past 2 weeks or so. Wouldn't you think that if it was the taper causing this, that I would have these horrible symptoms sooner than week 7 or 8?

• Posted

Not necessarily..alot of folks feel them instantly ..and alot of folks experience them in delay..if you can't get diazapam.. reinstate to 15.....to avoid the drama again of upping if you don't mind...a short term benzo might be better...talk to your doctor...

• Posted

Yes thats probably the best one.. because it has a long life...while xanex and valium have short life..
  • Posted

Did you have the same side effects when you were on Citalopram the other time/s? What was your dosage then?

?It's hard to know if the issues you are experiencing are due to the start up of the Citalopram, or from anxiety/depression. 10 mg. is a really low dose, more of a maintenance or starting dose. If you don't feel an improvement in a few weeks, or doctor might suggest trying 20 mg., and see it that helps (if indeed it's from anxiety/depression rather than side effects of the med.).

• Posted

Iam recovered on 10milligrams....and my anxiety was severe...and still on it...20 months and counting..
    • Posted

Thanks Kelly for replying to my comment, I have been on various doses and different medication brands prior to having a break from them. I may need to ask the doctor to up the doseage at my next meeting as I don't feel like they are helping me at all. I just can't seem to pull myself out of the low mood all the time. You may be right it could be the anxiety / depression that is making me feel the way I do and not actually side effects of the meds.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.