Side effects

Posted , 6 users are following.

hi, can you guys please tell me what side effects you had while starting prozac and how long they lasted?? thank you!!

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hello,

When starting PROZAC I had nausea, diarrhea and a general feeling of being sick. I also had some headaches. With that being said, I decided to continue taking it and after 3 weeks I felt so much better! Stick with it!! Hope you are feeling better. If you have any other questions don't be afraid to ask.

Albert

• Posted

Hi Shelby, it made me very tired at first. So then I started taking it at night. Diarrhea the next morningbut that soon went away-my system just needed to get use to it I guess. It's been a great drug for me. If you are just starting, give it a few weeks.

Barb

• Posted

The first week I had diarrhea. I had major loss of appetite for about 3 weeks. In fact I had to force myself to eat and lost like 10 lbs. (which I could afford to lose). I had an increase in my anxiety for about 2 weeks and I am on week 10 and still have crazy dreams and wake up a ton. As I write that it sounds kind of horrible! But I stuck with it! Besides the sleep issues all my side effects are gone now. I am SO glad I stuck it out!! I feel better now than I have in YeArS!!!! My anxiety is pretty much nonexistant and my ocd is very minimal! I didnt know I was depressed but I must have been because I feel like a new person now! My advice is to take one day at a time!!

• Posted

Hi Shelby. I had the diarreha, dizziness mostly, I didn't have an appetite for about 2 weeks, I was increased from 10mg to 20mg, I had heighted anxiety for a week or so at that time, prickly itchy skin, that went away too, I still have vivid dreams, nothing scary. Sometime I will still think about little things going on and wonder if its a disease and then I will think way too much about it...but I am only on prozac for 14 weeks and I do feel so much better believe it or not. I was having debilitating panix attacks before and now they are gone. Best wishes!

• Posted

this is my second go around on prozac, so the side effects have been much more pronounced than the first time starting it.

week 1 was horrible with anxiety, sleep issues, no appetite, depression, feeling like i was losing control, nausea, diarrhea, crying outbursts , racing thoughts. dizziness, feeling like my body trembles from the inside out.

week 2 continued with the nausea and diarrhea, a few crying spells, some racing thoughts, feeling like my body was dying. I started having improved sleep, less anxiety ( although still very present) some appetite, some of the racing thoughts diminished, some interest in doing things i used to do.

week 3 i had much better sleep, appetite was better, the racing thoughts had stopped almost completely, almost no crying spells, a bit more positive thinking, some happiness returning, diarrhea persisted, and some nausea, but not like the first 2 weeks.

I still have a ways to go, but every day seems to be getting a little bit better, and while i cannot see a bright light at the end of the tunnel, i do see small glimmers of it. I am still waiting to have several days in a row that are good, but i know the drug is working because i see glimpses of myself and the way i was.

My story is a long one, and was a nightmare what happened to me..... when my head is a bit more clear I will post what happened to me over the last 3 months.

• Posted

Hi Sarah, Good to not be alone. I had all of those as well with exception to crying. I know it takes a good while for it to work and I too see days that are great, like you I want continous good days. I might feel great one day and the next kinda Blah! It has only been 2 months for me...so I will give it more time.

Thanks for sharing!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.