Side effects

Posted , 3 users are following.

I've been on fluoxetine for almost 2 weeks. The worst side-effects have been loss of appetite and diarrhoea. Will I get my appetite back? At the moment I feel as though I never want to eat again .

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

YES, it will get better..... I had the same issues in the beginning.... loss of appetite, diarrhea, some nausea, drowsiness, ( which is why i take mine at night) and this all lasted for about 4-5 months for me.... but little by little i felt better and better...... you just really have to give it a good chunk of time to work..... in my honest opinion it takes about a good 6 MONTHS, not weeks to see decent results..... and i stuck with the 20 mg dose and did not switch at all. HANG IN THERE!!! ❤❤

• Posted

thank you sararinaz.. its reassuring to know. The side effects seem to be worse than the actual illness. I take mine in the morning as they stop me sleeping. Its the loss of appetite thats getting me down, I'm just so weak! ❤

• Posted

I do know Prozac can be very activating for some people, but never has been for me.... its always caused drowsiness in my case. The side effects can be a bit brutal and hard to deal with in the beginning several first weeks, but they do lessen over time and most are gone within the first few months..... keep in mind, every time you up your dose there will be some side effects that come with the dosage change too. My only remaining side effect is crazy dreams, but it makes for interesting talk the next day... 😃

Look up posts from KATECOGS...... her posts were extremely helpful to me in the beginning.......❤

SARAH

• Posted

Same thing happened to me. You are not experiencing anything unusual, I promise!Hang with it girl. I was on it for years, then felt I didn't need it anymore. Went off of it & then started back up & I got the same side effects as you are in the beginning.The loss of appetite was THE WORST part for me. I actually lost a ton of weight & it was good I guess but embarrassing in a way that people were noticing & asked me why. Well weeks went by & I had my psychiatrist prescribe me some xanax to take. I just needed to take it once a day. It made a world of difference to calm me because I was so worried about the no appetite. As time went by, I no longer needed the Xanax & the Fluoxetine finally kicked in.You WILL get better. It does take some time.

Hang in there please because it's a good drug.I only take 20 mg & that's where I'm going to stay.

Good luck!

• Posted

thank you, that has made me feel better. I do actually feel as though they are starting to kick in now, although I do still have a way to go. It certainly gives you encouragement to know that you are not alone in your experiences. ❤

• Posted

Beverly-You are NEVER alone.That is what this site is for. It has helped me too when I needed to hear good things. 😃

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.