Side effects

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi all im new here just after some advice and reassurance. I have terrible anxiety and used alcohol to cope (having a few glasses of wine a night, even finishing the bottle some nights) I have after realising alcohol can make anxiety worse I have given up. Only since friday but its a start. My anxiety is through the roof, i have no appetite, swearing buckets, trouble sleeping and I have had the poops (tmi sorry) Is this all caused by not drinking? How long will it last?

Thanks in advance for any help.

2 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Edited

Hello to you and a great start without alchohol! Sweating i had as well and some anxiety, for certain. Looking for that drink! But no drink to be found. Took me months to calm down but i did eventually. On 31st December 2022 I will be sober for ten years. A millstone. Keep trying since it is definitely worth it! All the best from Robin

• Edited

Yeah already feeling much better, it wasnt a case of not drinking I dont think but more thought of not having it to reply on to relax as ive had no problem not having a glass of wine to be honest i never actually liked it just that idea that it may help with anxiety when actually it was prob making it worse so im glad to not have it, there is still vino in the house but i dont care for it so not tempted to have any which is nice as most of it taste like rotten vinegar anyway lol

• Edited

alcohol is a depressant and will not help your anxiety other than numbing you and train the opiate receptors . occasionally depending on how often and how many drinks as many use alcohol constantly training the brain to rely on alcohol. of course this has a great deal of long teem health issues.

plz see a professional counsellor it sounds like your experiencing a panic attack . a professional trained counsellor can help diagnose the triggers that cause the reactions your experiencing and help with medications that can help control your anxiety/panic , as well as other techniques to help you calm yourself. sometimes meditation and practising mindfullnes is helpfull . good luck. someone is always here to help you as many with similar issues can share what helps them.

• Edited

A friend of mine resorted to alcohol to beat stress and anxiety. He told me the cliché – ‘borrowed his sorrows in alcohol’. But, it was momentary. Before alcohol, he had trouble sleeping; but, later he started falling asleep quickly. However, there is a catch. As soon as the alcohol’s effect faded he would wake up in the middle of the night. And, the anxiety attacks would be back. When he quit taking alcohol, he too faced problems of loss of appetite, bowel movement issues and sleeping trouble.

Later, he did seek professional help and was able to overcome his demons.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.