side effects after reducing Methimazole

Posted , 3 users are following.

I've reduced my intake of methimazole from 4 to 1 within the past 6 months, before that i was eating 4 pills per day (20mg).

currently i am eating 1 pill per day and i started to feel breathless easily, my chest area have sharp pain and tiredness (my heart area feel tired) after resting at a position for too long or have big movement suddenly. my kidney hurts every single morning as well.

so i am wondering whether are these the side effects after reducing medication too fast over a short period of time?

does anyone have any idea about the side effects?

reply will be greatly appreciated!

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

hopefully you were seeing your endocrinologist and getting routine bloodwork and not being your own doctor? I’m not a doctor but from what I’ve heard reduction of this medication that I am on as well should be much slower… Not sure about your side effects but I would definitely make an appointment and discussed this with your endocrinologist

Write everything down good luck

• Posted

Totally agree with Jack: you may want to do your own research, but don't become your own doctor. Please work with your doctor. If your doctor instructed you to lower dose from 20mg to 5mg in 6 mo, there must be a reason but you didn't mention it. And there is no thyroid level info from your post. I am in the dark for your case. Sorry

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.