Side effects after VATS?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Ive read through most of the posts looking for a similar complaint but haven't found one yet. I had VATS after a right lung SP 2 months ago. It took 3 chest tubes to finally fix the collapse. After I stopped using pain meds (about 2 weeks post op) I noticed a strange sensation in my throat and abdomen. Throat: not exactly painful, more annoying. Feels almost like a lump in my throat? Abdomen: feels like heart burn or acid reflux but without heart burn or acid reflux. I remember having pressure in my abdomen after the first collapse but it doesn't feel the same now. Also for the most part I am able to get a full breath of air, doesn't feel restricted. I seem to only feel "short of breath" when I start to panic over the above mentioned issues. I do worry that I may have a partial collapse on the left or right side and haven't gone for another X-ray just yet.......

Curious if any of you have felt the same and what route you took.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I have not had those issues, wonder if the throat issue could be from the tube they put down you during surgery.
    • Posted

Thanks for your reply. I too wondered if the throat issue could be from that tube. I hate going to the doctor so I've been putting it off.

• Posted

I had throat issue after VATS. I couldn't speak for a week, because I started to cough. After 14 days everything was fine.

• Posted

Did you ever get a resolution on this issue? Had VATS three weeks ago and have experienced similar throat pain. Hard to take a deep breath at times. Doctors keep prescribing me medicine for acid reflux...
  • Posted

I have exact same symptoms as you. I had VATs surgery 4 weeks ago and am also feeling the lumpy throat, acid reflux symptoms. My breathing is also generally fine but, like you, feels more difficult when anxious and worried about everything. So i can totally relate. Also feel very strange clicking sensation when sneezing. I have check up xray next week so hoping all is well. Hope you have recovered well since your post.

• Posted

Im a little past a year since surgery. Yes! At some point the lump went away but I still get the reflux more often then before the surgery. My breathing also improved over time. Unfortunately, I just had a small collapse on the opposite lung last month do Im back in the anxious, panicky breathing stage again. Good luck to you! Know that you are not slone in this, Im always free to talk about it with you! If you use Facebook there is a group called "Spontaneous Pneumothorax" with alot of good people who have gone through our issues.

• Posted

Thanks so much for your reply and kind words of support. I am sorry to hear you have been suffering again recently. I think the breathing issues related to SP do make us all more anxious. I can definitely relate to your anxiety and i wish there was a quick fix to that. I am feeling the same on and off. There is a documentary on Netflix called Heal which is worth watching. It covers how your mind set and thoughts can aid the healing process. May be of interest to you. Take care of yourself and trust that our body will heal nicely and you will feel normal again soon.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.