Side effects coming off citalopram?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi guys, 

Forgot to fill my prescription for citalopram and ended up just forgetting about it for . . . 6 days now I have not taken it. 

I have noticed some nausea the past few days - anyone else experienced this before? 

Thanks, 

Agirl x

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

stopping just like that makes the withdrawl symptoms much worse. Nausea is one I mainly suffer with dizziness.
    • Posted

Thanks Amy. 

I didn't mean to stop like that. I find it really hard not to to forget if the tablets aren't on my bedside table! 

I will be heading to pharmacy tomorrow to fill my prescription and I think I will actually chat to my doc about gradually coming off the tablets for good!! :D 

Thanks for your help xxx

• Posted

How long have you been taking them? I tried to stop but ended up back on them for anxiety. If you can cope without them then that's good. If you start taking them again you will get the start up side effects again. I've had 2 weeks of feeling sick. Good luck x
    • Posted

Just over a year Amy. Thanks . . . I hope I can cope without them and I hope you will be able to soon too. All the best, Agirl xxx
    • Posted

It wasn't the right time for me. I'm hoping counselling will help, until then citalopram are keeping me happy lol x
    • Posted

Counselling will definitely help. I always saw a real visible change after counselling - well, except for with one particular counsellor but that was only talking therapy, which was always a relief at the time but didn't really help me become self-sufficient long-term at all. But any time I did cognitive behavioural therapy I saw a real positive change. Well, it really helped me anyways smile Just make sure you stick at it until you're ready to leave and don't forget to assert your right to speak up if you don't think it's going very well. :D I hope it works just as well for you as it has done for me! Go AMY!!! :D 

Do you mind my asking how long it took you  to get off the tablets the first time? And if you had any side effects while doing so? 

All the best, 

AG x

• Posted

Thanks! I'm going to give it a shot and see what happens. Took me about 3 weeks to come off 10mg of citalopram slowly. I did 5mg every day for a week, then every other day for a week, then every 3rd day. I felt really dizzy and depressed that's why I started again x
    • Posted

Am only seeing this now Amy. Thanks. I am on 20mg a day so  I guess it'll take me a good long while more to get off it. I remember hearing someone say (well, reading it on here, some time ago) that the way they went off cit was by gradually shaving a tiny bit off their tablet each day. I think perhaps they used a grater to do it. . . might be a good way to avoid any symptoms coming off. Though I'd say it would probably take ages! A good idea though. smile 
  • Posted

Hi Anonymous,

My advice is never come off Citalopram cold turkey, and don't skip doses. It's asking for trouble!

• Posted

Check my recent posts, I only missed two doses and, well ain't doing that again! Just plain horrible!

Hope yer feelin better soon!

Regards,

David

• Posted

Thanks all. I am filling my prescription today x
  • Posted

Was going to wait 'till morning (this morning) to take my tablet as that's when I usually take it but couldn't stand the nausea anymore so I took it last night instead (will take at that time anymore) - immediate relief, no more nausea! Thanks for all the tips!! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.