Side effects fluoxetine

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have been taking 10mg fluoxetine for a week now and start to feel worse instead of better. I know it takes time for your body to get used to it, so I'm hoping this will change.

But my question is,... Can fluoxetine also cause more frequent urination? This is what I am really afraid of because I already have bladder issues. If so, will this side effect go away? And how big is the chance that it's from the fluoxetine? This is making me really anxious and afraid.

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

• Posted

Hi Ren123,

I’m at week 4 (20mg) and what you are experiencing is unfortunately expected and normal.   The key is to hang in there and keep in touch with your doc.  Maybe he/she can give you something to help you through this stage.  But I assure you it will improve after a few weeks.  I still have up/down days but I’m starting to have longer periods of “feeling” back to normal.  Which is incredible.   Stay strong.  Your “not” alone.  Blessings.  

• Posted

Hi tsea,

So that's also for the frequent urination? I am feeling so down about that.

• Posted

I attributed my frequent restroom breaks, for me anyway, were due to my stomach being in “anxiety mode”.   I didn’t see it as An outright side effect, more of a result of how my anxious stomach felt.  Note: I would wake up 4-8 times at night to go (during the day too), with not much coming out.  Once my anxious/anxiety stomach calmed down my need to go to the restroom became less.  Hope that makes sense.  
    • Posted

Could also be a cause. Anxiety can increase urgency etc, so you could be right about this calming down once the medication starts working. Stress levels can be a big influence. Hope it's the same for me in a few weeks

• Posted

Ren, my going through this (recently) I dearly emphasize with what your going through. Today I am starting week 5.  The first 3.5  weeks were hell; with nausea, heightened anxiety, panic, shakes, and disparity.  But I kept telling myself that at 4-6 weeks things would improve.  And they have.  Not perfect, but improving.  Just stay-the-course an be patient with yourself.  Also keep your doc informed of your situation.  

Things to try maybe: 

- Go on YouTube and check out some meditation clips on Anxiety and Sleep.  Turn off “autoplay”.

- Also learn to “breath” to help relax.  Slow breathing using your abdomen etc.

- Exercise.  Running works for me although I don’t enjoy it much. 

- No caffeine or junk food or booze. 

- Don’t consume a bunch of liquids directly before you sleep.  Stop a few hours before. 

- Don’t wake and use/check your electronics. 

I’ll think of more...  Hope these help. 

• Posted

Thanks for your advice! 3,5 weeks....oh my.... I've only just had the first week and will probably have to double the dose in a week or so to 20mg. I will definitely try some of your tips..... Such as the one on the breathing. To focus on deep breathing helps to relax so this might help me get through panicky moments.

My psych says to continue taking them, that it takes time, but I just want to feel better asap. smile

• Posted

Just know that this is somewhat normal and expected, and that you are certainly not the only one.  Most everyone goes through this phase.  Feel free to reach out to me anytime.  
  • Posted

Hi ren how are you doing I'm going into my second week on 10mg of fluoxetine it's tough but gotta hang in there I know what you mean about the toilet habits lol how are you doing with the side effects hope all is well tc xx

• Posted

Hi Amy, fluoxetine wasn't the ssri for me. The side effects were a lot. So now I have been taking sertraline for five days, 25 mg, which is going much better. I do have some side affects with sertraline as well, but not as many and severe as on fluoxetine.

• Posted

Hi ren what where the bad side effects for you if you don't mind me asking? Glad to know you're doing better on the sertraline I did try them I was put on 50mg but was so zonked out I couldn't do anything I'm just trying to take each day as it comes x

• Posted

Well fluoxetine seemed to increase all my fears and panic a lot. It made me feel awful! I haven been on AD before but never felt so bad in the beginning as with fluoxetine.
    • Posted

Hi ren I'm finding it really hard today going into week 3 songs in my head can't concentrate feeling not with it don't know if I wanna keep taking them to be honest

• Posted

Hi Amy, how long can you have side effects from fluoxetine? What does your doc say? If I'm correct they are the worst the first two weeks. So if you doubt whether or not to continue contact your doc.

• Posted

Hi ren just back from the docs he told me to stop taking them because of the side effects I mentioned i told him I wasn't depressed before the tablets either so put me on propanalol for the anxiety so see how that goes how are you anyway?x

• Posted

Hopefully those will have less side effects. I'm now on sertraline 25mg for a week and next week I have to double my dose. I sleep better now but I still have lots of ups and downs during the day. Yesterday I had a really good day but today I have pelvic cramping again and feel anxious.

• Posted

It's hard ren I know but at least we can share and compare on here for advice and support

• Posted

I was on 40mg of Fluoxotine for three years. I was begging my doctor and therapist to change them to something else because i was getting more and more depressed. They did nothing. So i went off them in April. The doctor said that was okay and upped my other meds and i became suicidal. I read that those meds could make you suicidal so i stopped them. For 10 days i have been so ill. Breathless, exhausted, weakness, dizzyness, wake up every morning with anxiety. I have had every blood test. Doctor says its nothing, im just hyperventerlating with anxiety and has put me straight back on 40 mg fluoxotine. Im not happy.

• Posted

I can't go back on them I was awful with suicidal ideas songs on repeat in my head been 3 days off them now and I'm feeling all over the place terrible anxiety just don't know what to do or where to go from here x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.