Side effects from citalopram after nearly a year

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hey all. Hope someone can help. I have tried searching everywhere online but could only find people suffering from side effects for around 6 weeks. I have been taking citalopram for nearly a year now and am slowly weaning myself off because my depression has gone and I feel my anxiety is under control. But thought my whole treatment I have had a strange side effect which is tension headaches which make me feel a little dizzy and also nausea. Some days it's not there at all and I feel great and then some days about an hour after I take my pill I can feel it coming on. It doesn't really feel like a headache because my brain doesn't hurt. But it just feels like there is a constant pressure in my head along with my ears. Like I said I'm coming off the meds but this has been thought the whole treatment. I am now on 10mg down from 20mg which I am really pleased about. Many thanks and happy mental health.

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Sometimes it takes over a year for some of those bearable side effects to go away..I know it did for me .be careful with the iam feeling better with depression and the control anxiety.. Because you are feeling better because of the celexa...don't let it fool you...good luck

• Posted

Thank you for the response. I feel I am doing a lot better as my anxiety came about around a year before my wedding during the planning stages whist on a business trip. The depression came as a result of the doctors nor myself knowing why I felt so terrible all the time (I thought I caught something in the Philippines) and after 6 months realised it was anxiety. Depression left after coinciding and hypnosis ECT but hopefully when I come off the meds completely I can cope smile I'm feeling positive.

• Posted

When I came off of ciprelax years ago I had similar symptoms it took a few months to completely go
  • Posted

did you start coming off them by yourself or from your gp,if you start coming off on your own ,you may be suffering from withdrawal symptoms,if through the doctor you may find that you are trying too fast too come off them,i would then suggest you  go back too your gp and explain what is happening
    • Posted

Nope with help from gp. It's not withdraw as I have had these symptoms through the whole treatment. Cheers.

• Posted

Hi George, like you I have been on 20 mg of Cit for about a year. I would very much like to get off. Feeling very exhausted about 4pm every day ever since I started. I also have pretty consistent tinnitus since taking Cit. Any advice as to how to taper? Other question I have is what are the head zaps that people seem to experience when getting off this AD? Sounds frightening!

Thanks!

• Posted

Hi Shane. I would talk to your go about trying to get off the meds. If you are in the UK for some reason they say it's fine to drop 10mg a time. I ignored everything the doctors said after reading online about terrible withdraw so I dropped to 15mg for about a month and saw no withdraw effects at all. After that I dropped to 10mg and the only effect I'm really getting is mood swings. I have started to lash out a little sometimes and that's not me at all. So I usually apologize right after and explain what is happening. The brain zapped apparently are when you taper too fast. So as long as you are going very slow you shouldn't experience anything. But like you I get the ringing in the ears randomly but the main thing for me is the strange head pressure feeling. It also makes me feel nausea. Good luck

• Posted

Hi George, I am in Canada. At the beginning of taking this drug my doc mentioned it would take a few weeks to eventually taper off. From what I read that is way too fast. I want the least side effects however long it takes. I need to be able to work, function etc. I don't understand why docs seem to know so little about these drugs. Confusing!

Hope things continue well for you! Please keep posting if possible. Thx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.