Side effects from decreasing dose from 20mg to 10mg

Posted , 5 users are following.

PLEASE HELP

I have been on cit 20mg for over a year now! However last week (11th sep) I decreased my dosage to 10mg as I want to come off them. However I have been experience awful night terrors, I always wake up and can't stop shaking. Even when I go for light naps occasionally I can feel my body shaking as I am asleep. I am also very emotional but, only in the evenings?? Did this happen to any of you, or am I just going crazy?

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

barbara39684 no I am currently 3 days into coming off Citalopram first 20 for 4 weeks 2 weeks 10 really bad side effects you wonder what these tablets do to you good luck
  • Posted

You could instead lower your dose to 15mg.  I bought a pill cutter and cut my 20mg into 1/4's making each one 5mg.  I've reduced from 20mg this year by 5mg at a time and am down to only 5mg now.  I've had no side effects at all.

Ive come off these before and reduced to 10mg then 5mg and felt lots of side effects.

Doing it by 5mg each time this time around, it's been fine.

• Posted

Forgot to say that reducing from 20mg to 15mg, then 10mg then 5mg - stay on each dose for a few weeks or even a month before reducing again.  The slower, the better.

K x

• Posted

Hi Tayla 

glad you posted with this concern because I will be cutting down my dosage next year so will be in the same boat! 

I agree with Katecogs cut it down by 5mg only at a time and stay on that reduced dosage for at least a month before dropping again . I did this the first time I came off citalopram and had absolutely no side affects. 

Try this and let us know how you get on ,I can sympathise not much fun waking up shaking .Weve all been there on this forum and this will pass but it's awful going through it! Good luck x

• Posted

Why do u want to come off them, is itvbcz of sideeffects.
    • Posted

barbara39684 I am having withdrawal terrible shall I stick to 5mg ?
    • Posted

Barbara stick to 5 mg for now but go see your doctor You need him to review your situation . Perhaps it's too soon to come off you need to find the dosage with no side effects and stay with it for a few weeks. Then any lowering of Meds needs to be done under supervision. You need to minimise side effects best you can. Do hope this helps x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.