Side effects from naproxen or codeine?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have achilles tendonitis and have been on naproxen for a week, I needed some pain killers due to the pain and the doctor prescribed me codeine, I took it yesterday for the first time and I couldn't sleep at all due to a constant stomach pain, with sharp stabbing pains and feeling slightly sick. Is this a side effect to the codeine or naproxen? Thanks

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

You should always eat before taking codeine as it can upset the stomach.
  • Posted

Yes codiene can give stomach cramping, especially if you are not used to it. I agree with andrew1906, try to eat somthing first. I find rice crackers particularly good for this. if you have pain, you will also likely experience constipation. If you will be on them a few days or longer, get some calicum AND magnesium combination supplements (some have zinc and/or vit D as well, both of which are fine—vit D helps absorb the calcium, zinc is good for other reasons such as if you like to drink and helps your immune system).

The magnesium is actually what helps with the bowels, but you may as well take the combo. Take 3-4 tablets each night, I think they are 500 mg each. The Ca may help with the pain, as I think it is caused by a release of acid into the stomach (a side effect) but the Mg should help neutralize as well. 

I hope that helps. No one wants to simply exchange one pain for another. 

• Posted

Just be careful with magnesium as it can also cause intestinal cramping in some people. Start at a low dose then build up. I myself can't take any magnesium supplement due to the agonising stomach cramps it gives me.

Psyllium husk (Metamucil) is great for getting things moving if u get constipated from the codeine. And u can take an antispasmodic like buscopan to help ease intestinal cramping.

I hope u find relief 😀

Nikki

• Posted

hi kelly 

the codeine causes constipation however im guessing the stomach pain is probally caused by the naproxen ,,,, this is a NSAID or Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug which can irratate the stomach lining .....

doctors generally prescribe a PPI or proton pump inhibitor such as omeprazole which stops any stomach related problems with the NSAID,s 

go back to your doctor and discuss this with him 

best wishes 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.