Side effects from stopping Dehydracodine

Posted , 5 users are following.

I stopped taking  Dehydracodine two days ago, I was only taking 2 through the night after reducing from 4 - 6 a day. I have been on then for about 3-4 months. Since yesterday afternoon I have felt awful, I feel cold and restless have a headache and this morning feel sick. Are these typical withdrawal symptoms? 

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jeanette

I'm sorry to hear what your going through, yes these are typical withdrawals.

Hot and cold sweats

Restlessness

Head aches

Anxiety

Depression

And many many more.

I'm on a reduction plan with the GP and it's been incredibly difficult, I have been dependant on dihydrocodeine and diazepam for 8 years at high dosages, it's been a dreadful time and I'm still battling the withdrawals, nighttime is the worst I don't sleep, I wake up and the bed is soaking with sweat but when I pull the sheet off I'm really cold with the shakes! I get the shakes most of the day at work and it's hard to put a face on, you just have to be confident that it will come to an end eventually! My target is, I want another baby and I can't until completely clean, they have told me that if I get pregnant now it's high risk that the baby will have brain damage so that's my reason x

Good luck x

• Posted

Once Iv got passed these withdrawal symptoms I will never take codeine again, I'm shocked at how rough I feel

i hope your clear of them soon x

• Posted

Hi, I myself, took the same as you. I decided on new year I wouldnt

take anymore just took one then next day I had awful flu like feelings

and really bad tummy upset for two days also didn't sleep well.

after about five days it does get easier especially if you try and keep

busy. Now after eleven weeks I feel fine do have occasional days when i

feel a bit down, but maybe that's just how I would be anyway.

i would say the first five days are the worst then every day gets easier, one thing I did have after a week or so was a lot and I mean a lot of sneezing fits

i looked this up and it's quite common when stoping opoids.

that did stop around six weeks. Good luck don't take these again I know I never will. I will always remember how awful the stopping was.

stay strong take care Ann

its good to come on hear also if your feeling down. 

• Posted

This morning I threw the rest of the tablets down the toilet, I am so determined never to take anymore again. I will suffer these side effects and hope once there over Ivan get back to normal.

yes Ann I have the sneezing fits too x

• Posted

yes everything you are feeling is quite normal I'm afraid , however since you have been on them for a relatively short time and you have been reducing your withdrawal should not last much longer than a week or less. good luck
  • Posted

Hi, yes you should be over the worst after a week. I too like you will never take these

again as no one really tells you that you soon become dependant on them.

i feel very sorry for others who have been on them for a long time.

all I can say is life is so much better without them I'm sure some people do find

that they are very good pain relief, but I'm sure they don't suit everyone.

keep going Jeanette hope the sneezing soon goes mine lasted quite a few weeks.

stay strong and let us know how it goes I'm sure your experiences will help

someone else. Take care Ann 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.