Side effects from Thyroxine

Posted , 111 users are following.

Hi, I am 32 and have just been diagnosed with an underactive thyroid. Been put on 50 mg but after about a week starting to get muscle aches, upset stomach. Did anyone else experience this? also feel really tired!

10 likes, 194 replies

194 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

hi, i'm really concerned about the above post, i am a fellow sufferer i was diagnosed at 18 and am now 32 and have been on thyroxine ever since, i take 125 mcg, my concern is (don't shhot me down) i'm a staff nurse and know alot about this condition and you can't just wean yourself off thyroxine, trust me there are severe dangers the worst being death. you can't replace it with a natural remedy, no matter what a herbalist tells you. i can't put it strongly enough without trying to scare you. you risk long term side effects with not taking your thyroxine including cardiac problems, coma..... i know the nhs is frustrating but don't risk your life, make a double appt with your gp and tell him what you are thinking of doing, that should make him sit up and listen.
    • Posted

Does the nhs prescribe Armour? most of my american friends tell me that suits them more than levothyroxine.
    • Posted

I agree with this guest.  I have been hypothyroid for many. many years and have taken myself off the medication several times, the first time for 6 months and almost went into a coma!  This last time I went off for 2 months and took Adrenals instead (from homeopathic) and became so lethargic and TSH levels were off the charts!  It is important to NOT GO OFF the medication because the thyroid does not work without natural thyroxine (the hormone the thyroid gland naturally makes).  The problem I was having was from the filler that Synthroid has in it.  It was causing several heartburn and heart palpatations along with low blood pressure!  You cannot replace the thyroxine with a natural remedy as much as you would like to get off the medication like I have done, it cannot be done because it will include worse symptoms like cardiac problems and eventually a coma!  Continue to be monitored with blood tests while taking the medications.  Eat properly ( lots of veges and fruits) exercise daily and drink a lot of water!!  There are a reason doctors are still "practicing" medicine so it is essential to stay tuned in to your own body
    • Posted

i have under active throyide I can tell you ,you can die if you do not  tack throxine had my bloods done a few days ago Dr want a Chate later today on phone I am on 150 throxine a day funny feeling my throxine will be going up ,I am worked as I went two Dr last week my Bloodpreashure was up 148/90 scared me I can tell you straight on a weight lose Drinking lots off water herBel tablets however does throxine have a link to high Bp
    • Posted

You can buy it directly from the US, it will be taxed but worth a try. I am experimenting at the moment. Nature Thyroid is cheaper.
    • Posted

I disagree. I have been in pain and sick for so long. I was on 50 mg of Synthroid and as soon as I started taking my joints and my fingers hurt my whole body ached! I went to my joke of a doctor and he did nothing that was in 2012. Doctors here in southwest Louisiana are uneducated and I haven’t found one that has helped me yet. They had me on so many different medications it was crazy. In January of last year I was tired of being in pain and getting no help. 

So, I stop my thyroid medication and I noticed a huge difference. No more joint pain my hair grew back my nails grew back. I think there is a huge issue with doctors not listening to there patients. I know my body and know when something is wrong.  I think educating oneself and finding what works for yourself is the best way. 

• Posted

Hey I also don't want to scaremonger as I agree fully with the above post about the dangers of stopping your thyroxine....

My mother died at the age of 52 because she refused to take the tablets.No joke. I am also hypothyroid and know a lot about the condition. It does take quite some time to get back to normal, but you do get there with the thyroxine.

So please talk to your doctor immediately.. get another blood test done and discuss your concerns. [b:15b1795c8a]Please![/b:15b1795c8a]

• Posted

Hi Helen W. I was diagnosed 11 years ago at the age of eighteen and had really bad side effects at first including the ones you mentioned. Your dose will probably go up and down a few times before you stabilise so your body is just getting used to the thyroxine. It will all stop though I can guarantee it, once you are used to the tablets. Obviously hypothyroidism does have some really crappy symptoms but as long as you take care of yourself, I try to eat well (most of the time ha ha) and do a little exercise every day, I think it's manageable. I am on 225mcg a day now which is a high dose, but most of the time I feel pretty good (if a little tired!) so don't worry. Most of all just don't let it get you down and you'll be fine! Take care !
    • Posted

Hi Helen, my wife has heen 8n thyroxin for few years and the dosage never seems to be right. I have had a terrible time dealing with my partner and just realised she has side effects. Dont get me wrong she has been going through this but not once has she ever thought it could be her. I have been told to leave home so she can be happy, she cries for no reason when I am not there, she shows no emotion towards, she has mood swings, she can't make decisions easily, a small problem is massive to her, omg the list goes on and I thought it was me. The oroblem I now have is what to do about it. She can't communicate with me and I get the blame for everything.
  • Posted

hi there all

Please ms please don't stop your medication as it can cause all sorts of problems as your body needs this hormone to function properly........

I don't want to alarm anyone but the doctors are there for a reason.......

[u:b75ffc04ca]Treating Hypothyroidism[/u:b75ffc04ca]

The main focus in hypothyroidism treatment is to replace the missing hormones in your body. For this reason, hypothyroidism is always treated with medication, most commonly levothyroxine, which is a synthetic form of T4. Treatment for hypothyroidism is lifelong; you cannot discontinue your medication once you start feeling better. Once you have started treatment, your symptoms should start to improve within a week or two. However, it can take a few months before your metabolism has recovered.

There is no one correct dosage of hypothyroidism medication for everyone. When you first begin treatment, you will need to be closely monitored through regular blood tests until the appropriate dosage for you is determined. It is also important to not receive too much medication as this can cause you to develop hyperthyroidism, another type of thyroid disease. If you feel restless, have quick weight loss or increased sweating, notify your doctor, as these are signs of hyperthyroidism.

It is also important that your thyroid levels do not drop too low as this can cause myxedema coma, a potentially life threatening condition. Signs of myxedema include slowed breathing, low blood pressure and blood sugar levels, and abnormally low body temperature. Treatment of myxedema involves thyroid replacement through IV and steroid therapy. Causes of myxedema include infection, illness, and exposure to cold or certain medications in people with untreated hypothyroidism.

Left untreated, hypothyroidism can cause severe depression, heart failure or coma. Although there is no way to prevent hypothyroidism, it is possible to detect early in children who may have congenital hypothyroidism.

Regards

SES

• Posted

thankyou  for that post,, I didnt know what i had , it began by a bursitis in my knee and hip, and then i began falling asleep at work and so much so that they couldnt wake me and thought id died as i was so cold,,,

I do seem to have these ten to 15 min comas and feel dreadfull most of the time,, I am on 50 mg of levothyroxine, have been since 24 april this year2014 and i feel worse by the day, im shaking, have pulpitations , ringing in my ears, bad muscle aches,, feel like if veen in a car crash 24/7.. what on earth is going on,,,?

• Posted

Hello lady,

I had exactly the same symptoms 4 years,ago and I was diagnosed of hyperthyroidism. I took medicines for 7 months where we stabilised it but it was still infected so I then went for surgery and had it removed. The past 4 years have been pretty tough just because I was used to a certain lifestyle and applied the same under thyroxine. My dosage has moved from 100 to a 125mg a day with times at 112.5!

It is very important to listen to your body and make adjustments if you decide to go for surgery. I have also been doing a lot of yoga and today I feel much better.

I wish I could have found this type of information before my surgery.

The thyroid gland is the most important one within our body, it regulates the overall system and having it unbalanced can provoque communication blockage so singing is also useful.

I'm not a doctor but I wish I could have found a more natural way than taking medicins until the rest of my life but I have done a lot of work and adjusted my life to suit my body.

• Posted

Yoga will be an invaluable tool.We do what we think is best at the time. Don't look back. You have learned from your experience.

Meditation helps a lot too and a healthy diet.

Best wishes.

• Posted

Hello all

Thank you for your concerns, I really do appreciate it. I know I'm taking a risk but I am so low, so depressed that I feel I want to try something else. You're all right, I do understand your concerns, in fact I'm kind of concerned myself. But I'm looking at it that I'm not a a very high dosage of levothyroxine, I was on 75mcg and have been on 50mcg for four weeks now. I think I just have to learn from my own mistakes and just hope that reducing the dosage doesn't create severe problems for me.

I saw a herbalist who's been practising for 30 years and he has left the decision to me. He said he has treated many people successfully but it all depends on their dosage and my dosage isn't very high.

I know I'm being ridiculous and stupid, but right now I feel like a child, I feel so vulnerable.

Thank you for your support

Mary

• Posted

hi there Ms

do you know the overall amount you will require as it is normally built up, until you are on your correct dosage, so yes you may think you have a low dosage but I started off on 50mcg and ended up to 200mcg until my levels settled down.......I have been on 175mcg for the past two years.......You have children right??? well they NEED a healthy mum, you maybe depressed at the moment, as its a kind of the shock to the system knowing that you HAVE to keep taking these medication, but you will be ok as long as you be patient........... just give it a chance...please think of your loved ones.

Kind regards

Sara

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.