Side effects increasing Citalopram from 20mg to 30mg

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi, I have been looking at a few posts on here regarding this matter but would appreciate some fresh answers.

Can anyone share their experience with regards to side effects when increasing Citalopram from 20mg to 30mg?

I have been on 20mg for 2-3 months now and my GP increased them to 30mg this week, I had my first dose yesterday morning and second this morning. I feel fine, had some disturbed sleep last night (as I did when I first started on 20mg) but other than that, nothing as of yet.

Like most of us, I had a pretty rough time with side effects when I started on 20mg so I'm wondering how you all coped with an increase? Did you experience side effects again? Which ones? How severe were they? How long did it take for them to start? Any info you can give me would be amazing.

Thanks in advance

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I don't have any advice but I'm actually in the same boat. my doctor wants to up mine to 30. I've only been on 20 for 3 weeks but I still feel awful. constant headaches and sicky feeling. anxiety is through the roof. I'm worried that going up a dose itll make me worse.

• Posted

It's a tough slog but so worth it. I can definitely feel a benefit with the 20's but there's most definitely scope for a lot more improvement. As daft as it sounds, I'm sort of hoping I do suffer with side effects again because at the moment because I'm not, my anxiety is telling me they're not working. Bare with it though, it took me a good few weeks, with a LOT of wobblers to start to feel like I was beginning to come back down to earth a little bit.

• Posted

hi louise its a double edged sword. In some ways it would make sense to go up now as you are already feeling bad and less likely to notice the side effects if there were any. however 3 weeks is really early and my psych says you should give each dose at least 6 weeks to settle before assessing whether more is needed. side effects usually start to ease off after about 4 weeks at the beginning.

• Posted

hey guys x so I went up to 30mg 8 days ago and so far it's been hard but nowhere near as bad as going onto 20mg. same side effects as before but not as intense.

I was on 20mg for 6weeks

I normally get hit bad about a week and a half after aswell so I will let you know how it goes x

louise how are you feeling?

BCS was 20mg not working well for you at all?

• Posted

So glad to hear it hasn't been as bad for you! Yes, please keep me updated and let me know how it goes as the days go on.

I can feel a definite difference with 20mg but there's room for much more improvement. I'm still suffering with it however the biggest improvement I've noticed is I'm able to rationalize my thoughts a little more now, for the most part to no avail as the anxiety is more powerful still at this point but it's nice to have some rational thoughts at least.

How did you find the 20mg?

• Posted

of you've been on 20mg for a few months then increasing shouldn't be too bad and wont last too long hopefully.

first time in was on 20mg for years and was fine and increased straight from 20mg to 40mg no problems. this time round it was so much harder its unreal. 20mg didnt do anything for me this time at all so I'm gonna stick to 30mg and see how I get on.

I completely understand not being able to rationalise anything when the anxiety is so high.

I'm constantly thinking I'm losing my mind it's horrible!

• Posted

It's so strange how it can work so well then not work at all. Brains are strange things. Hope you find yourself stable on 30's soon!

• Posted

hi there actually im in exact same boat as you. been on cit second time for 9 weeks, last 7 weeks on 20. have had some improvement but no where near enough. have had a major blip this week with lots of tears, insomnia, anxiety and feeling down after a week of feeling better. psych doc wants me to go up to 30, says you often need higher doses for anxiety but im really nervous about it cos i dont want the side effects back especially increased anxiety and the awful burning feeling i got on my arms and chest, Also worried as its only 2weeks to xmas and i donr want to be in a right state for it.

• Posted

Aww bless you Tamsin, I'm so sorry to hear that. It's such a rocky road, it's awful.

I totally get where you're coming from, initially I thought I'd rather increase now rather than at christmas because of side effects, obviously not thinking straight as side effects would last over christmas no doubt.

Anyhow, I've been on 30's around a week now and touch wood I've felt fine for the most part. Friday I felt flat and was off my food, Saturday I felt flat then I was pretty much ok until Tuesday, felt a little spaced out in the morning, panicky and just "mentally poorly" - I'm sure you'll know the feeling. I had to take the day off work and felt as though I'd taken 10 steps forward and 12 steps back, didn't find any enjoyment in anything that day, had no desire to do anything. Yesterday was much better but I was off my food and today I don't feel amazing but I feel fine.

How are you?

• Posted

hi thanks for asking . last few days have been ok. Not amazing but ok. ive had 2 days of 25mg. BIit of increased anxiety but not too bad. Will do 25 for a week then go to 30 if ive been ok

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.