Side effects maybe ?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi I’ve been on 20mg citalopram for the last 16 weeks for health anxiety following aortic valve replacement in 2011 ( which didn’t go so well !). I’m also taking simvastatin, bisoprolol, irbesartan and warfarin. 

Most days I feel dizzy/lightheaded, poor balance with some chest pain, tightness in my breathing, weakness in my legs, often visual disturbance with a kind of fuzziness around the outside of one or both eyes, some head/neck pain and general tiredness/fatigue. I sleep well and I’m better outside than in and even allowing for all these symptoms I can still do 30 mins gentle excercise in my home gym !!

I take my citalopram in the mornings

Sorry I know long posting .....: but does this sound like side effects caused by this med ? HELP !

Thanks everybody 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Exhogg

Yes these are all common side effects from Cit , I had these and others ! So have lots and lots of other people , it’s just horrible I know, they are also anxiety symptoms just to confuse things even more!

I don’t know about any of the others meds you are on so can’t help there.

I’m on 5 months now and it’s a struggle with so many ups and down but know I’ll get there eventually it can take time.

Matt 

• Posted

Hi Matt

I really appreciate you responding .... the other thing I seem to get is periods of “heavy duty” yawning !!

Good luck to you

• Posted

And to you 👍

I’m normally in the discussion “ when do you know if Citalopram isn’t working “ there’s so much support on that thread , Kate has been amazing support to me 

• Posted

Hi there. Sounds like normal side effects. Yup and welcoming to the world of yawning. Defo a side effect I suffer from. Nightmare in meetings!!! Still, the positive effects far outweigh the side effects for me.  Been on them nearly 10 weeks now and hardly any side effects of CIT. Good luck. Mark
    • Posted

Thanks Mark, much appreciated. The strange thing is I've never really felt that anxious [I think !!]. All my symptoms are so very physical & have been pretty much since my open heart valve replacement surgery back in 2011. My belief was that after exhausting all other possibilities 'they' stumbled across anxiety & gave me yet another med to try in this case citalopram. I'm 'dizzy', unsteady at times to the point of collapse, chest pains [not bad, just there] breathing compromised, visual disturbances, weakness in my legs, neck ache etc ............ & I seem to have daily cycles of all this with evenings being probably my best time.

I take my citalopram first thing in the morning ........ has anybody found symptoms improve by taking them at bedtime ?

Thanks everyone

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.