Side effects no likey!

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi Folks, I've been taking Sertraline 50mg for two months and have been patiently waiting for the side effects to wear off: trembling, jaw clenching, jelly legs, general feeling of not wanting to get out of bed etc etc and they haven't. Talked to my GP he said try another month and then we'll discuss options. I've seen people's comments about alcohol and bizarrely I'm drinking more to try and relax - so that's not working out. I feel a bit better mentally but the overriding physical side effects aren't worth it for me. Has anyone tried switching brands to see if that makes a difference? Otherwise I'm going back to the docs and coming off them. Thanks.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Sue

Sorry to hear you’re still getting sides. I’m no Doctor but if you’re drinking more that’s going to make your anxiety worse and will highlight any side effects.

My advice would be to just not drink and see how you go for a few weeks. I’d wager the physical symptoms will go.

I used to drink to help relax and whilst it might of for a couple of hours, it just make the anxiety worse the next day. Alcohol as you’ll know is also a depressant so will negate the medicines benefits somewhat.

• Posted

Hi Sue

It is unfortunately a waiting game, it took me 3 or so months before I started feeling the effect of the drugs. I had to literally drag myself out of bed to get out of the house and slowly and gradually I started feeling better. Now  a year on I am back to normal. Sure there are bad days but the good days far outweigh them. 

Hang in there and give us a shout if you want to chat

Regards 

STEVE 

• Posted

I'm 10 weeks on ever increasing sertraline. Started on 50mg and now on 125mg. Still have all the side effects you've listed plus a weird sensation running from my left jaw, down my neck, down my arm to the tips of my fingers. Also, I can't seem to put any weight on regardless of how much I eat. I've lost over 2 st and it's really frustrating as I really can't afford to lose anymore. Doc says it's still early days for sertraline and just to keep pushing through. Gosh it's hard...but we'll all get there. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.