Side Effects of Amlodipine

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi - Just a little of my history before my tirade on Amlodipine. I was prescribed Ramipril about 10 years ago for high blood pressure and seemed to be ok on this medication . Two years ago I suffered an anaphylactic shock due to a drug which I had been given for kidney stones. The Ramipril was stopped and I was put on Amlodipine 10mg instead. Like other people I started getting things going on which I thought was due to age not realising it was the drug. Earlier this year my ankles began to swell badly so after about 6 months I went back to my doctor and was told to stop taking the 10mg tablet. Within two days my ankles were back to normal - my sleep patterns started to get better and my flushes stopped. I was no longer getting cramps in my legs and my digestion was back to normal I suddenly had the revelation that all these things I put down to age were actually drug induced. My blood pressure I was monitoring and all seemed ok. I stopped smoking after fifty years and reduced my salt intake. I am now going to try and maintain my normal blood pressure by lifestyle and not drugs.

4 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

CONGRATS to YOU FOR STOPPING SMOKING!!!!!! That's great! I finally did quit too after 36 yrs. an it was hard. I still want one every now and then. But I won't go there at all cost!
    • Posted

Good to stop, my grandkids dad didn't stop soon enough, he used those cancer sticks for about 30 yrs, he lost his battle last year at 55....

So greatful I never had that horrible habit. j

• Posted

Hi Michele - I stopped smoking 33 days ago and yes it's very difficult - it's getting out of the habit of what you have done for the last fifty years. I won't go back to smoking. I just hope now to get different meds for B/P and keep that controlled and my life will be good. 
    • Posted

Hi Megan, well keep up the great work! I know it's REALLY HARD and that's not even telling it like it is. But you will get used to it. When I think back now that EVERYTHING I did....I did with a CIG! Wow......we have to get used to the new us and enjoy the freedom of not being a slave to a smoke and a lighter! HAHAHA!
    • Posted

Hi Michelle I am getting there and thanks for your support - your right when you say a slave to a smoke because that's exactly what it felt like - couldn't go anywhere without knowing they were in your bag etc. Good luck to you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.