side effects of amlodopine

Posted , 6 users are following.

Have recently developed very swollen ankles and shin rash .have been on Amlodopine for years as I had slightly raised BP but also have white coat syndrome.i checked my BP and it was low so came off my Amlodopine and my ankle swelling reduced quickly .have monitored my BP and it remains low.my doctor says I can continue to monitor BP for a month  without medication.am wondering that I have been treated unnecessarily for years on a medication that has given me some really bad side effects.(unable to sleep,hallucinations,bad dreams,swollen joints ,anxiety to name a few.)when all along the white coat syndrome has raised my BP at the doctors.today it was 110/65 and that was after a mile and a half walk.the doctors put you on these meds as they say they protect you from stroke etc.i just hope I am not puttingmy body under pressure by coming off them.i would be very grateful for any help in this matter.thank you

0 likes, 33 replies

33 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Elizabeth

it seems I may have lasting reminders of amlodopine. Have to have a 24 hr ecg, an echocardiogram and stress tests. 

We’ve just moved to Spain from the UK and the stress was immense leaving family.  I forgot to take them for two days and felt better and thats when I stopped them. we started medical insurance when we got here, didn’t know this would happen. Now waiting to hear if I’m covered. But bp and pulse are now completely normal. My pulse had dropped before stopping them to 40, which was a concern. Maybe I had a problem and didn’t know it, who knows. But I know now and can do something about it. I feel fine but still get really tired. Maybe its the heat here! 

Doesn’t help though when I’m here and my husband is working in the UK but we have good back up here but I don’t want to burden them too much. If tests cannot be done here I’ll have to go back to the UK for them as I’m still a UK resident. 

• Posted

Hi Mrsspot.Amlodopine is noted for disturbing the heart rhythm and causing stress..perhaps this is your problem .i developed this erratic heartbeat 3 times and had to go through the same route and nothing was found.my stress levels were at an all time high and I had homeopathy to help..it worked and subsequently lowered my blood pressure.im sure when you get us ed to the laid back life  style  in Sp ainyou will find your stress levels and exhaustion will improve.i was so tired all th e time and read about low vitamin D could be the cause.i was found to have a low level which showed in my blood results but never told.you really do have to keep double checking with your surgery as they can overlook so many important things.it might be worthwhile to have yours checked too.i understand how you feel about your husband working in the uk and  you being in Spain.i lived like that for 15 years whilst my husband worked in Libya.its very stressful coping on your own but I’m sure you will manage well and enjoy the lovely weather .good luck with your tests.elizabethT.

• Posted

Thank you. I’m hoping that you are right. It seems strange that my pulse whilst on amlodopine was between 40 and 60, more on the 40 side. now I’m off it its quite happy between 70 and 80. Blood pressure settling down. Funnily enough I’m struggling to eat as well! Not really hungry. Yet amlod can make you eat more so glad that side effect has gone!

I have a homoepathy appt next week, so will be talking to her about it, been taking stuff for stress for a while now. 

i’m used to being on my own so that doesn’t bother me but its just being on my own with this problem. 

Had blood tests done, all fine too even my cholesterol, which has always been just over 3.  Never had a problem with that. 

Will post when I find out more. And thanks again as it helps to talk to someone who has gone through it.

by the way, my husband on them too, 10mg. He had a medical for work last week and was told he had a irregular heartbeat. Then we found out the company that had done these tests on everyone virtually told everyone they had a dickie heartbeat! I think he wants to change too now. 

• Posted

Hope  homeopathy  helps mrsspot ..pleased your blood tests are okay fingers crossed for ECG.thats so strange about the company doing your husbands tests..their equipment must be wrong surely..hope he gets sorted .take care.
  • Posted

Hi Elizabeth,

Congratulations on coming off Amlodopine. I wrote in an earlier post (much earlier) that I also was prescribed Amlodopine and I took it for just day and thought I would have a heart attack or stroke that night, difficulty breathing, heart racing and the swelling for me was in the arches of my feet. My arches ached so badly I couldn't sleep. I told my doctor the next that I would not take it again and she suggested I keep taking it and my body would soon adjust. I told her I had no intention of expecting my body to get used to that and never went back. I also have white-coat syndrome and my blood pressure is normally very good. If I am over-tired or stressed I know my BP might elevate so I keep an herbal combination for blood pressure on hand for those times. I am old enough to remember when doctors were very reluctant to start patients on medications that alter their own body chemistry. The common sense belief was that the body is designed to heal itself with proper rest, good elimination, exercise  and nutritious food. Today's medical practitioners have lost their understanding of the durability of the human body and its ability to heal itself; instead they prescribe Rx for every conceivable symptom. I honestly know people who are taking fourteen different drugs, how could that be good for anyone? And they don't even know how the drugs are interacting against each other. God bless the good doctors who are still around and shame on the others.

• Posted

Don’t forget they get paid by drug companies to prescribe. And the drug companies don’t want anyone well or they would stop trading! 

The world is run by big conglomerates who think noone can do without their products.

• Posted

You are right about that, and sometimes I think that we forget that doctors are really just human beings and they are not gods. The doctors that felt moral obligations to confer with patients about treatments before prescribing are few and far between. Doctors are are mostly managed by corporations now who want doctors to bring in big money to pay shareholders and themselves big bonuses and if they don't do that, they are out. The point is that young doctors with six-figure student loans, mortgages, etc. are not likely to refuse to give their "bosses" what they want. I know a doctor who took time with patients to talk with them and spend time listening and consulting and she was put on notice that she needed to see a patient every ten minutes or go somewhere else.

Patients need to educate themselves about what is going on in corporate medicine.

• Posted

Well said Eileen..so glad you have managed your BP without medical intervention and you have picked up on some really relevant points to help us removing Amlodopine from our lives!would be interested to know which herbal remedy you use when your BP goes a bit higher.have been checking mine 3  times a day without Amlodopine and it has stayed steady for 3weeks apart from twice in the morning when I was due to have a quite stressful day.thank you for all your good advice Elizabeth T.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.