side effects of BP tablets - help

Posted , 3 users are following.

I've been amlodipine for about 8 weeks. Initially i had chest pains and as this was the third type of BP tablet my doctor suggested i 'stick with it'. Which i have done and persevered. My BP is down to 'normal' so its working, but I am tired all the time and now my gums have started bleeding.  Has anyone else had this?  Just spoke to my doc and told its 'very rare' and was i sure?  So i have been told to come off the tablets for 1 week and see if it improves, but she thinks its my teeth (even though i have only just had my 6monthly check up !  She also said to book in a 24 blood pressure monitoring session 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

worth saying i tried Rampipril and lorastan (not sure if i spelt them right), both gave me a very sore throat and cough
  • Posted

Hi

​Stop taking amlodipine is my advice. I had chest pains and then lots more symptoms followed. It took 4 months to get it out of my system..

• Posted

I've stopped taking them after speaking to my doctor who said that she doesn't think bleeding gums are a side effect. Having seen the dentist only a few weeks ago and told all ok, i said I wasn't happy to continue. She called me back and thinks I need a 24 hour blood pressure monitor and to stop taking the tablets. 

• Posted

If you have any more chest issues, ask for an ecg to assure the medicine hasn't caused aFib.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.