Side effects of Citalopram.

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, sorry, this is a bit of a disgusting discussion.. I've been on citalopram for 2 1/2 weeks now. Feeling great in myself! Feel fantastic! Only problem I've got is, since I've been taking them I've been experiencing terrible diarrhea in the mornings, and only in the mornings. If I could explain the consistancy of it, it's pretty much water with small (probably 5-10mm) pieces of excrement in it, but mostly water. There's no blood visible and I don't seem to be having any sort of stomach problems, I feel perfectly fine in myself. At first, I put it down to the amount of coffee I drink as previously I'd have really loose bowel movements whenever I had a cup of coffee in the morning, so I stopped my coffee, but the diarrhea continued. Yesterday was a bit of a relief, my poop was sort of soft, but not runny at all. I'm not getting any abdominal pain and it doesn't hurt to whipe myself (which it usually does every other time I've suffered with diarrhea). The diarrhea continues from about 8am up until about 11am, almost every morning without fail.. Obviously there's a cause for concern as I am taking my Citalopram for Anxiety. I understand that diarrhea is one of the common side effects but how long can these side effects last? I've got a visit with the doctor last week so obviously I'll bring up this issue I've been having, even if it stops by then. I just want to know if anyone else has suffered with this or if it's possible that I have IBS. I doubt it is IBS, that's just my anxiety telling me there's something wrong with me..  It would just be a bit of relief if I know of other people who have suffered the same (including the same type of diarrhea) as myself whilst taking this medication. I'm not sure how long the side effects last and I know it can vary from person to person, so I understand it could last a while for me. As I said, I never get constipation or any issues like that. I only suffered constipation shortly after my dad had a heart attack scare, which is also what triggered my anxiety leading to me being prescribed citalopram, which I'm taking 20mg daily of, by the way. 

Thanks for any help or advice you can give me, if anyone knows of any OTC medications to cool the diarrhea please let me know, as long as I can use that medication with Citalopram it's worth giving it a try.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I have a visit with the doctor next week... Not last week smile

• Posted

I had to use loperamide or Imodium for a few days but in the end had to stop the citalopram as the diarrhoea didn't go away. I too can sometimes have an intolerance to coffee ( only the fresh ground sort) and I'm intolerant to onions which I avoid. Doctor says it's ibs (did the stool test etc). The fact it comes on with a change in diet or new meds certainly points to that. Anxiety can make it worse. I'm now on vitamin d ( prescribed) as my levels are low, and I'm feeling a bit better. I'd rather not take antidepressants and Imodium anyhow.

• Posted

Thanks for your reply. I know the chances of me having ibs are high and I'm not too worried about it. I would love to stop citalopram but I feel so great in myself. Mad to think 1 tab a day can do that! I'll be sure to mention it to the doctor. Hopefully it's just a side effect that will subside!

• Posted

I think it may just be a side effect that will settle down. It's my second time on cit and at 8 weeks I feel so much like myself again after all the horrid side effects I may just stick on it.   I had that side effect the first time round too. And it was worse when I first started this time. It's absorbed in the gut I think. I still get a lot of wind That's another side effect. Everyone's body reacts differently and needs time to settle although I hold my hands up that at 5 weeks I wud have jacked it all in I just felt so much worse. It was only the support I read here and knowing I came thou it back in 2013 that kept me going. 

• Posted

It's nice to hear that I'm not the only one to have suffered with this. I'll bring it up with my doc when I go to see him and see what he reccomends. Hopefully it subsides because it's awful, but only lasts a certain amount of time

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.