Side effects of clopidogrel

Posted , 3 users are following.

I've been taking clopidogrel and aspirin since May.  Recently started having nosebleeds which take longer than normal to stop presumably because the blood isn't clotting.  Has anyone experienced this?  It's a bit unsettling.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Alexandra

After my total hip replacement, I was given 2 asprin per day to aviod DVT.  The first day I was fine, but for the next three days my nose would start bleeding about 10 minutes after I had taken them.(quite heavily)  Hosp stopped them just in case I was bleeding elsewhere and I had to have injections for 5 weeks into my stomach (ouch). Ask for doc for recommendations.

Cath

• Posted

Oh that sounds horrid, Cath.  Hope you are okay now.  I saw my GP today who talked about cutting down the aspirin rather than the clopidogrel which was interesting as, for some reason based on nothing in particular, I assumed that he would want to reduce the clopidogrel.  Anyway am seeing him again early next week and will take it from there. Have now washed all the bed linen so hope I don't have another nose bleed tonight! 

Thanks for your response and good luck.

Alexandra

• Posted

Hi Alexandra,

I took clopidogrel for about eight years (am now on Warfarin), but did not take aspirin as well. I did bruise quite easily while on the clopidogrel, but apart from that had no unwanted side effects. Quite honestly, I would be more wary of the aspirin!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.