Side effects of coming off Citalopram!!

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi I have been on 20mg-30mg of Cit for 3 years, for depression. I took an overdose last week and now my CPN has advised I come off. He thinks I suffer from low mood and PTS, rather than depression...I agree with him.

I have gained nearly 3 stone and gone from a sizr 10 (uk) to a size 16 (uk) I am hoping now the weight will reduce?

I have been off for 1 week now and the side effects are hideous!

I have constant dizziness, feel nausea, head aches and lack of concentration. Is this normal and how long does this go on for? I DO NOT want to start them again! As bad as the withdrawl is, my head fells like a fog has been lifted and I don't feel quite so numb!

Any help and advice greatly recieved. x

1 like, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Can only say very well done and if you have managed a week without then you are doing extremely well and it shouldn't be long now before the benefits of not having the poison in your body really kicks in so yes it is normal to feel a bit woozy. When I stopped anti-depressants it was about 2-3 weeks before my head really cleared. Stay with it.

• Posted

Sorry to hear of your struggles and the overdose, but I'm very surprised your CPN has allowed you to come off them cold turkey.  Never, ever stop these meds abruptly as its dangerous and you'll be very ill which is going to last a long time for you.  These meds work on the brain - why would you mess with meds in this drastic way?

I've just come off these meds and have taken a year to withdraw by 5mg at a time.  I've had no withdrawl effects at all.  I came off once before by halving each time over many months, and that was still too big a drop as I suffered.  This time around - nothing.

I suggest you speak to your medical team about maybe reinstating a little of the meds back because you're in for a very rough time I'm afraid as I doubt its ended yet.

K xx

• Posted

Great advice K. I'm doing it 5 mg's at a time also and I plan on doing it real slowly

• Posted

Thanks wink

Many people do go cold turkey and I understand that because we think it's like just stopping any medication - but these are so different.  What surprises me is doctors and other medical professionals suggest it or even allow it.  So, so dangerous.

How's your 5mg reduction going?  I've just stopped my meds completely a few days ago.  Taken a year, but that was my personal choice to wait on the last 5mg as had my daughters wedding in August.  Didn't want to suddenly find myself being depressed or anything if it had cropped up prior to the wedding.

I must admit, I have been surprised I had no withdrawl effects.  Absolutely nothing (though there was an odd day here and there when I felt flat - but only lasted a day).  When I came off before reducing by halves each time, I had nausea, anger, crying and brain zaps which are really weird.

Pays to go slow.

• Posted

If someone is going to get such severe withdrawal effects I'd think that it would happen withing days or even hours of not taking whatever. To go a whole week with 'just' being foggy headed means there is almost no chance of that.

• Posted

You'd be surprised.  Many do get instant withdrawl effects from missing a day or even a few hours, but I've read many posts by people here going cold turkey, being fine and then it hits them the week after.  We're all different, and really hope it doesn't do this to Bulldogs.

• Posted

Hi K. I'm on day five of my reducing by 5 mg's. Not going too bad. I have brain buzzing but i'm persevering. I will be doing this very slowly to make sure i do it right. I read on a site this aft that one should try and reduce by 10% per month. I will follow this plan and hopefully it will work for me. Congrats on you getting off Cit. And many many thanks for staying on this site and helping us souls that get BS's by out doctors. No side effects my butt comes to mind. I'm seeing my doctor on monday--for the final time. Its on a diff matter but will bring up my withdawing from Cit. My new doc is much younger and is not a pill pusher!!!!! Once again thank you for remaining here. Hope you are having a grrat day!!!!!!

• Posted

Brain buzzing is weird isn't it - sounds like you're having a short circuit.  Its not harmful, just odd.  Surprised you have it on just 5mg reduction, but of course we are all different so it may affect one person and not another.  I wouldn't reduce any further until that buzzing has stopped.

I just don't understand how some doctors are allowed to say there's no side effects.  If they can't prepare their patients for what to expect, then they shouldn't be prescribing them.

Good luck with the new doctor.  There are some really good 'un's out there.

• Posted

Hi K. Yes the buzzing is weird. But if thats the weirdest withdrawal symptom I'm gonna have its ok. Usually goes away by nighttime. I also read that a person should cut back on exercise if you do it daily as it affects youre metabolism and hurry's the withrawal. Not sure about that. Enjoy youre day.

• Posted

Yes I found it bearable when I came off some years ago ...... Oooh that's interesting re cutting back on daily exercise.  Worth trying out, but then if the buzzing isn't a huge problem then carry on as normal wink

Let us know how everything goes.

K x

• Posted

I dont know if cutting back on exercise is for me. I know its really good for you in many ways. Releases endorphins and all. Was also reading that you should only cut down on ur meds no more than 10% at a time for a 7 to 10 day period. This would help with ur side effects a lot. Heres hoping.
    • Posted

Hi

I've gradually come off Citalopram. Reduced from 40mg to 30mg to 20mg. I've taken none for about 8 days now. The first few days were fine but now I feel extremely ill. The withdrawal symptoms are terrible. I am really frightened and keep crying. I feel very sick, dizzy with a headache, have sensitivity to light, my stomach is in knots, I'm terrified to be alone and shut myself in darkness in my bedroom. Please help! Xx

• Posted

Hi Lisa. I think you have come off the last 20 mg's too fast. Everything I have read and from ppl's posts here is that you have to really take it slow. Hang innthere. Things will get better

• Posted

Hi John

Many thanks for your reply. I only hope that you are right and that things will get better.

I wish I had reduced to 10mg and 5mg before stopping, but I guess I was eager to try the herbal medicine instead because I'm paying a lot of money for the weekly appointments. I hope that the herbal medicine works because it's completely natural and has no side effects.

I will keep you all informed.

Lisa Xx

• Posted

Lisa. Everything will be fine. It just does take time. Beleive in urself.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.