Side Effects of Escitalopram (?)

Posted , 5 users are following.

I took 10 mg of escitalopram yesterday and for a few hours a felt fine. No increased anxiety or nausea. Then about ten hours in, I could barely calm myself down. It took ages to fall asleep, and even when I did, I woke up in a panic a couple hours later. I thought I was going to faint. Saw spots in front of my eyes and everything. I've gotten no sleep. I cut down the dosage to 5 mg today. I'm planning on taking that dosage for a week and then bumping up to 10 again. Has anyone else don't this and did it help? I know there are side effects, but I'm just wondering how long it'll take to feel the positive effects of this medication? Bc I feel like garbage rn. I can't relax, and my whole body aches.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Elijah,

I'm sorry to hear your feeling so bad. Some people seem to be able to sail onto these drugs and others, not so.

It does take 4-6 weeks for it to take effect.

I think your doing the right thing by tapering on to them. I googled how to taper at one stage myself as I was taken off one Anti-depressant and the next day started 10mg escitalopram. Terrible time. Didn't know what was withdrawals form one or side effects from the new one.

I had to use a sleeping tablet as well to help with the attacks of anxiety etc. Am weaning off those slowly now.

It helps to know what others have been through I think as the Docs don't warn you and just want to change drugs again when you tell them.

I seem to have terrible side effects with each one so changing constantly just prolongs the agony.

If you can taper up slowly, hopefully that will aleviate a lot of the symptoms for you. The funny thing is, I found it effected me worse about 12 hours after taking it and not what you'd expect, 1/2 hour or so.

Let me know if I can help at all with what I had, re; side effects,

Cheers,

Gina  

• Posted

I took a 20mg yesterday. My first time and I thought I was going to die. I got really anxious my head was spinning my heart was racing and I was so tired. I woke up last night around 11pm and my back felt like it was on fire. I was in a panic attack for about 30 minutes. I am wondering if this was a bad idea to try medication for my anxiety.
    • Posted

Honestly Rachel, I took 10 MG for the first time 2 days ago and I'm still experiencing side effects , I stopped it now my anxiety is back and I can't sleep

• Posted

I am 4 weeks in and my anxiety is better. It just takes time to adjust to the medication. I am on 10mg and will not try to up the dose. The side effects were horrible but now that they subsided I feel great. I hope all works out for you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.