Side Effects of Esyma ...

Posted , 4 users are following.

I’m just starting my 3rd course of Esyma and received my letter advising me to go for blood test for liver function test. Since being on this drug ( to reduce 2 large fibroids and bleeding ) I’ve been constantly tired and now have pain in abdomen , aching bones and now can barely move ( this only got so bad in last 2 days ) 

My chest is burning  and I generally feel awful . Anyone else felt like this ? 

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Sorry to hear you’re having a tough time. Have just finished first month of Esmya & can only have a second if I self fund & have regular liver function tests. Have been abnormally tired but have also been working too many hours. Definitely ache a lot & have tender breasts, especially nipples.

Not sure what stage of life you are at, or the severity of your fibroids. If you’re planning a family it’s probably worth persevering with Esmya. If your family is done, I would definitely investigate all other options.

Wishing you well xx

• Posted

Hi , That’s awful you have to self fund ! I’ve had my letter in re liver test but not been yet . I’m 52 and not been through menopause yet and so not having anymore kids ! Today I’m really feeling lousy and have noticed a “ heavy “ and really uncomfortable feeling in lower abdomen when I walk ! 

I was prescribed esyma by gynaecologist but not sure if I go back to them ( 6 weeks waiting list ) or GP . I’ve stopped taking it ! 

• Posted

Hi Karen 

the only reason i found out about Esmya being withdrawn is because I joined this forum after my last ultrasound transvaginal procedure.  

I then had a call from Gynaecologist advising to stop taking this medication immediately I am no going in for a Hysteroscopy start of April as I have an abnormal 4.5cm thick lining on top of endiometrium.  

Ive had liver function test and kidney tests all okay but I have complained for last year of sore tenderness around kidney area something I didn’t have until Esmya was taken. Also pain in abdomen feeling exhausted and sporadic hot flushes sweats.  

I hope you feel better soon.  

• Posted

Hi Morven ,I’m sorry you’re feeling lousy as well 😢

Has Esyma now been withdrawn , I had no idea ! 

Good luck with your procedure in April x 

• Posted

Hi Karen 

yes this has been withdrawn and is not to be issued to new patients or indeed if your away to commence more treatment.  If I was you I would be speaking to your local go or indeed your Gynaecologist.  

Im in UK so it may be different overseas..  

I was given ESMYA as I had an 8.7cm to rear of uterus and it was causing additional lower back pain which I already suffer scoliosis.  

Im now having the worst period yet and believe me they were horrendous.  They then advised me to try Mirena Coil back in 2008 (2 over 2008 ~ 2017) then that was removed  early 2017 as more fibroids had appeared... 

So here I am now awaiting to go in for another hysteroscopy so no further forward am I really 10 years  on.  

I would like to know others thoughts on this ESMYA medication as all it’s done for me is pretty much screw my health up. 

Link attached as below 

https://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/product/3951/rmms

Regards 

morven 

• Posted

Hi so sorry to hear of all you problems.

I was halfway through my third course of a Esmya when I started getting really bad headaches so I googled the side effects and happened to find an article about the review they were doing of the drug. It frightened me so I stopped taking it straightaway. It wasn’t until some time after that my GP contacted me to say it had been suspended to new patients and anyone in between courses. I had liver function tests done which were fine. It’s a shame as it did shrink my 8cm fibroid by just over 2cm and really helped ease my symptoms by stopping my heavy periods. I don’t think I would go back on it now though as this is a transient problem which will improve at menopause whereas liver damage would cause lifelong problems so wouldn’t want to take the risk. 

Get the liver function tests done to put your mine at rest.  

I hope you feel better soon. 

Best wishes x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.