side effects of gabapentin;

Posted , 8 users are following.

my husband is on  400mg of gabapentin, he  is spaced  out ,confused  ,is this normal is there any help out there

1 like, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

Hi monica, I'm on 2400mg gabapentin,200mg tramadol and I too get spaced out especially in the evening,I get confused sometimes dont drive anymore (your choice) and feel sleepy,but gabapentin reduces my pain enough to feel that the side affects are worth going through,its all about quality of life,is your husband in less pain.can he deal with the side affects now he knows what they are,and I try to tell people you must keep talking to partners,family etc,my wife is a god send,she listens and believe me a side affect of tramadol is I talk to much lol,I just accept all of the side affects for the tremendous help gabapentin gives to me,so keep talking even on here as it really helps.I hope he begins to feel better and the side affects die down a little. ☺
    • Posted

thanks for your reply .gabapentin does take away alot of the pain in his back .its been a great help knowing there is someone out there who are having side effects with gabapentin.
    • Posted

thanks for ur reply ,its a  great help knowing there is some one out there who is having the same as my husband .
  • Posted

Hello Monica,

This is a very low dosage, does it relieve his pain? I must be lucky because although I have take Gabapentin for 12 years and 2400mg a day I haven't experienced any side effects but now find my bones are a bit on the thin side.  As no one in my family has osteoporosis I felt a bit cheated, then i read up on bone thinning and Gabapentin was mentioned.  Dont' know whether anyone else has read this.  So now we add the bone 'thickening' tablets to the arsenal! Aren't we lucky to live in England and get it all free.  But relief from pain is worth side effects provided they don't ruin your quality of life.  Amytipilene is a nice little tablet for night time.  But Gabapentin is worth a good trial.  Good luck.

• Posted

Hi Monica, I was put on Gabapentin about three months ago and the only side effect I have is excessive sweating. I am on 1800mg a day as well as Co-Codamol 30/500 x 8, Pregabalin x600mg and also anitriptalyne 30mg. My pain is still severe and I am waiting to go to the pain clinic to see if they can do anything for me. My consultant wont operate on my back because it only has a 30% chance of working. If anyone else can maybe give me more information on how to control the pain then please do . Thanks
    • Posted

Hi ya. What type of pain do you have or diagnosed.

Hope you feel more comfortable soon and clinic helps

• Posted

hi ross .my husband also takes tramadol for his back ,as he  has degeneration of the discs .,as he  has severe pain.a pain  .the only advice i can give you is carry  with the pain relief you are on .the gabapentin takes a  while to work ,.i hope this is helpful.
    • Posted

Hi monica , I dont know if this would help,with the gabapentin I used to be on quick release tramadol but for years know I have been on slow release 2x a day and to back all this up when I have a bad day I have tramadol in a bottle (drops) and this seems to take the edge off but stops me sleeping,and really bad days i get out the oramorph (liquid morphine).

I decided along time ago with my wife that if I'm off my face,talk to much,get confused, dont drive,dont work etc who cares because I have little pain,yes I get p*ssed off with thinking I'm a burden but I'm always assured by my wife that I'm not a burden just a pain in the arse, apart from medication I try to walk a little,talk alot and keep my sense of humour.

see i talk to much lol wink

• Posted

Hello Ross, I believe the sweating is coming from the anitriptalyne that you take.  It's a very common side effect.   Just look it up. smile

• Posted

My problem is also Disc degeration also I have Arthrits of the neck and back and a prolasped disc in my lower spine. Even although I take all these painkillers I am still in pain.
  • Posted

I have had a bad pain day so treated myself to two of my precious Co-Proximol.  Anyone remember those?  honestly what a difference they make.  Far better than Co-Codomol.  With a prescription from the doctor these are still available.  it was a disgrace when they were withdrawn.  It seems they were used by people committing suicide.  So the hundreds of thousands of us who had taken them for years properly were penalised for the few, no doubt people who are determined to end their life will find another way.   I have codomol separate from paracetamol.  That way i don't ask my system to cope with paracetamol as I have never found any benefit in this lightweight drug.  I too have arthritis in my upper back which drives me to lay down sometimes before the lower back pain kicks in good and proper.  Then there's me feet!! oh when do I stop?? but you aren't alone in suffering Monica, there's a lot of us out there.  It's all a case of finding drugs that give a quality of life and I wish you well in this search.
    • Posted

my husband is  always in pain an d  the gabapentin does help ,thanks for ur reply
  • Posted

I experienced an electrical buzzing feeling in my head. It is very disconcerting.  A new Neurologist is having me try it again but I am Leary of it.  Has anyone else experienced this sensation?
  • Posted

I am on Gabapentin 300mgx3 a day...Tramdol 150mg x 2 day....

I take these for deep nerve root pain with my back...I was unable to walk with my right leg...my right has improved so much...

I started having my hot flushes again...very sweaty...now it is my head...my hair is wet...I now have a sheet on my pillows...the sweats just runs down my face and neck...

Then I read about excessive sweating....it is either being not able to put my foot down because of the pain and being miserable or being sweaty and miserable...rather be sweaty...

I have been confused more than usual....it is words and times...I drink gallons....

As I said I can walk....

• Posted

Hi kitty,I am on 800mg x 3 gabapentin and 200mg x 2 tramadol for along time now for severe nerve pain in both legs,I found years ago that I was always spaced,sweating,confused etc,this came from the tramadol,now I take slow release tramadol I find it much better,I also have a liquid tramadol in . Drop bottle for bad days,I'm still spaced out but normally in the evenings,I do sweet in the night still or when I need more tramadol,as for the gabapentin I got used to that,you have to try and stick at it and I found its worth it,I am in Germany now and they operated with spinal cord surgery,battery in my bum cheek lol(recharged wirelessly and have cordless remote ),its like a tens machine but 100 times better and in you,some people don't take anymore meds just use the remote for voltage pulses in there legs or back etc,have a look online (Medtronic )there in the UK as well but here they try to fix not fill you with drugs,I hope you feel better,ask anything anytime. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.