Side Effects Of Orlistat

Posted , 8 users are following.

Those that have taken Orlistat will be aware of some of the side effects, especially those that occur when too much fat is eaten! There has been a supply problem with these tablets and I was unable to take them for about 6 months but have recently been able to recommence them. For me they have been very effective in helping me lose weight but having been off them for a while and now starting again I believe I have had some side effects that are not noted as possible side effects in the medical information and I would love to know if any others have had similar problems.

The first is that of hair loss! I have always had a very thick head of hair but have noticed that when I am taking the tablets I do seem to lose a lot more hair than normal. For me it isn't a major problem because my hair is so thick to start with but if I had thin hair in the first place I would be having visions of ending up practically bald!!

The second is of very dry skin and irritation. Previously I had put this down to general poor health and being overweight but this problem had disappeared whilst I was not taking the tablets (which I thought was due to my having lost weight and being healthier) but now I have started taking the medication again it has reoccurred.

Has anyone else had these side effects or indeed any other problems that they think could be attributed to the Orlistat.

At the end of the day for me they have been very effective in that I lost about 7 stone so I am quite happy to put up with any minor miseries!!

2 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Can I just point out that the limit is not 25g of fat a day, but 45g. 5g of fat per 100g eaten, not more than 15g per meal, not more than 45g fat a day. I am one of the lucky ones in that I had excellent and continuing advice from my doctor. I agree however that the sausage rolls etc at the party were a big no-no!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.