Side effects of statins

Posted , 8 users are following.

I have recently been worried about muscle pains- particularly in the arms and shoulders. so I came off Atorvastatin for a month but the cholesterol level went up, so I am back on 20mg. This is my first post on here. I should appreciate the experience of others, as to whether halving the dose/ taking every other day/ changing to another statin proved useful. I shall go to my GP as well. Would love to control things with diet but it didn't work. Thanks.

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

How high is your cholesterol? I'm learning that what many doctor's consider high, isn't really high at all!

I would stop it completely if you are already experiencing such pain! I've been off for over a month and my pain is just as fierce and no end in sight!

• Posted

Hi Herbo - I was on 80 mgs Artorvastatin for two years. Within months muscle aches, swollen liver, unable to lift left arm above shoulder, joint pain especially ankles and wrists and shoulders, hair loss, excema on chest, back and face, fainting spells, memory loss (passwords constantly having to be changed), Vit D deficiency, hurtling towards type 2 diabetes, gained nearly 10 kilos - and these are just SOME of the serious snowballing issues doctors blamed me for - despite my not having a single one of these issues in in any of the previous 50 years. 

After two years of mental vagueness and stupid adherence to the rules of medicine where we are no more than commodities, I questioned what was going on. I googled. I entered forums discussing this poison and what it has done to people. I read how the 'healthy' level of LDL's and HDL's had been altered to ensure there were more lambs to the slaughter as the medical profession chased their true passion - money. Statins are now the most prescribed drug on the planet. I threw the poison and the 'doctors' away. It has taken me nearly three years to get my health back. The process to recovery as my system struggled to expel that poison has been snail-pace slow - an indication of how deep the damage.

Herbo, I was wondering what instigated the move to statins? Was there a major incident? I had a heart attack and instead of fixing the problem the 'experts' created a whole lot more. My advice is to stop the statins. Your body has already told they hurt.

Tani007 -- it is a slow process - hang in there and we are always here to talk.

• Posted

There was an editorial that was front page news in the UK press just a short while ago - October/November last year I think - that said it had been clinically proven that taking statins significantly increased the risk of type 2 diabetes.  Alongside that, some very eminent doctors commented that type 2 diabetes was a MAJOR cause of heart problems - soooooooooo, clever big pharma - invent a pill that causes the problem then prescribe it to cure the problem that it caused in the first place......

• Posted

The UK press was absolutely correct Loxie. It has been know for a long time that ALL statins have the ability to cause type 2 diabetes in addition to several other serious side effects. It was only early last year that a close friend of mine told me that he had been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes on two consecutive dr office visits. Because I'm in the medical field he asked my opinion on the issue.  First I asked him if he had any family history and he sad no.  I reminded him that a couple of years ago I advised him to stop taking damn statins.  He agreed to stop taking it and as expected his glucose level had dropped back to normal on 2 successive office visits. Last year I also got a close friend of my wife with type 2 diabetes off of cholesterol meds with the exact same story as the one above! The irony of the whole subject is that diabetes and high blood pressure are well established precursors of coronary artery disease and all drs are aware of this or they should be. Most doctors will give you the "risk vs benefits" argument. The best argument to your dr would be as follows. "DOCTOR, IF I TAKE THE CHOLESTEROL MED THAT YOU WANT ME TO TAKE TO PREVENT HEART DISEASE BUT, IF IT CAUSES ME TO BECOME DIABETIC WITH THE SUBSEQUENT HEART DISEASE WHICH YOU ARE TRYING TO PREVENT WOULDN'T THAT BE RISK VS RISK WITH NO BENIFITE"!?! A very concerning fact is that 80% of diabetes eventually develop arterial plaque (American Medical Association data) formations leading to fatal strokes or if your lucky you might be saved by having stents put in or bypass surgery. 

Oh! I almost forgot, my mother developed type 2 diabetes within 6 months after starting taking a statin. She wouldn't listen to me because she thought her dr was god.    

• Posted

Hi loxie and Hot Roder - thanks for these facts. I'm sitting here boiling mad. The dangerous, deliberate criminality of it all. 

• Posted

Very pertinent info, thank you Hot Roder.  What confounds me in all of this is that it is the pharmaceutical industry who have decreed that cholesterol is the 'big bad wolf', is it cynical of me to presume just to sell their products - and it is they who have decreed that the limit at which statins should be taken is now as low as 3 or 3.5 rather than the previous 5 or 6 doctors used to work to.  In the UK it is N.I.C.E who determine prescribing practice and GP's comply.  Guess where NICE gets a lot of its funding.........I am so not a conspiracy theorist but even to me all this stinks so bad.  I recently read a very interesting article about Alzheimers - it stated that many sufferers had abnormally low cholesterol readings - scary.

• Posted

Hi Herbo, First I would recommend that you read the extensive and detailed response that I made to Tani007 on this very subject a couple of days ago.  There are several points that I will make in addition to my prior post.  Number 1, if you google and see the "catalyst heart of the matter youtube" you will note that one of the lead cardiologist who was interviewed and no longer prescribes statins explained how he changed his views.  He commented that after performing hundreds of bypass surgeries over a couple of decades that he noticed that just as many patients had low cholesterol and needed surgery as did patients with high cholesterol.  The obvious conclusion, which doesn't require more that a high school education, is that your chol level is irrelevant.  Also, about 15 years ago, 60 minutes did a story on a small town on the east coast of Italy where almost everyone had cholesterol levels between 280 and 390 mg/dl !?!?!  Guess what, after verifying local death records they verified that virtually everyone in town lived to be in their 90s!! SO MUCH FOR HIGH CHOL !!  Point 2, You obviously can half the dose or change statins, but it's fools gold.  I took statins for over 25 yrs and I have serious plaque formations to show for it.  So, I am living proof that statins don't work.  Point 3. Baylor St Luke's hospital in Houston Tx along with 2 other university hospitals recently completed a 4 yr randomized controlled study showing that a healthy diet, exercising and statins DID NOT STOP the progression of established plaque formations in any of the patients in the trial group. They obviously don't make any money with that type of trial and most likely infuriated the phama industry!  Point 4, You will have to make your own decision on the statin issue because most doctors have drank the coolade  on the need for chol reduction and you will never win an argument with them unless you took Baycol (a statin) and almost died like I did about 15 yrs ago or are a biochemist like I am. Point 5, Tell your dr on your next vist that you would like to have a blood test called LP-pla2 done.  This is a test for rupture prone plaque formations which is covered by insurance.  If you results come back negative you'll have one less thing to worry about.  If the test comes back positive just start taking 1500-2000 mg of fish oil per day or substitute salmon occasionally if you like. If your skeptical, remember that rupture prone plaque formations eventually break open and result in strokes!! There is no statin formulation which remedies this problem. This test was promoted in the 2008 issue of the American Journal of Cardiology.  Good Luke and booo to statins.    

• Posted

Hello, one thing I have learned is that, for me, statins work. I had my first infarct (Heart Attack) in the 1960s when much less was known and before statins were available. The problem was very high cholesterol that eventually was brought down to normal level by a combination of Atorvastatin (80mg) and Izetimibe. 

Before settling on that combination many other drugs were tried. Toleration of this, the maximum dose, was not without going through intense pain for several months, but, again , in my view, worth all that pain. I am in good control pain free these many years and loving life in these my later years.

• Posted

Hi 68survivor - yes, it's strange how meds such as these have such drastic differing effects on the patient. In my case, had I continued taking those statins, I would not be alive to write this.

• Posted

If you can think of no other cause for your muscle issues, then it's likely it's the statins.  Do go back to your doctor, there are other statins and cholesterol reducing options available, it may be worth trying an alternative.  If the pains persist and/or you develop other symptoms, report them to your doctor.  Word of warning, many GP's refuse to accept that statins cause these problems, or that if they do theyre 'minor'.  You'll see from the commentaries on here that if statins adversely affect someone, the side effects often most certainly are NOT minor and can be quite debilitating.  Eating a good diet helps but doesnt always prevent high cholesterol, particularly if its familial (hereditary).  It also depends on several other factors whether high cholesterol alone is going to be dangerous.  How high is it - pharmaceutical companies have influenced prescribing practice and would like us all to be artificially low - the suggested limit used to be 6, now theyre pressing for something like 3, which is unsound.  Also the differential between HDL and LDL is significant, if both are high then its less dangerous than if the gap is wide.  Do talk further with your doctor and please dont let them bully you.

• Posted

I’ve just added my own experience of finding that it’s sugar, not fat that raises cholesterol levels. So annoyed that doctors won’t agree. 
    • Posted

Hi Wizzasmum - hi, sorry to read of your frustration. Time to treat the doc. Arrive with a big bag of jellybeans and the most sugared drink you can find. Take Wizza to provide menacing encouragement. Sweet.
    • Posted

There is so much wrong information and panic measures out there regarding cholesterol, how the heck can anyone trust anything they see or hear any more.  In addition to all the muscle and cognitive issues mentioned on these forums, importantly do not forget that statins are metabolised by the liver - the DO cause problems with liver enzymes (anyone taking them should have regular liver enzyme tests without fail) and any meds which are significantly metabolized by the liver (like statins) get excreted partly through the bile. So it's possible that cases of cholecystitis and pancreatitis could occur when using medications that pass through the liver.  This is why so many people on statins develop type 2 diabetes.  We really should ask ourselves - is the risk worth it?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.