side effects of taking ramipril

Posted , 25 users are following.

Having taken ramipril for several months now, I find that having a sore throat has now become a sore mouth,besides the annoying cough.also veins in my legs appear to be bursting, and red spots almost like blood blister are apperaing anywhere on my body, has anyone else experienced these effects

3 likes, 31 replies

31 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Following a heart attack in October 2013 I have been on a daily dose of 5 mg of Ramipril. I immediately developed nasty and itchy spots on my chest and back - and a few on my arms and legs too. They bleed profusely too.

I saw a dermatologist who said it was indeed the side effects of Ramipril; accordingly she wrote a note to my cardio surgeon - who just said "live with it".

Thanks a bunch.

Has anyone had substitute drugs?

Be glad to hear if anyone has a solution, as I do not see why I have to "live with it"!

• Posted

You should not have to "live with it" A friend of mine is a pharmacist and when I told her about my side effects she said go back to your doctor. There are plenty of alternatives. I gave Ramipril about 10 weeks and went

back to the doctor and she put me on Candesartan 16mg. I still get some side effects but not as bad as

Ramipril. I will give them a good trial and if I am not happy I will go back again. Good luck.

• Posted

VMT Helen99686.

I have discovered TELMISARTAN and will research Candesartan too!

Muchas and Ta ever so.

• Posted

Hi I've been put on ramipril following heart failure for the past two weeks. The cough is the main problem but I do feel more alert and my vision is better . However I was advised to take Q10 ubiqunol by a very good

friend of mine for the US ( is an expert on medicine) as it helps with the effects of the drug and also is good

for the heart. It seems to be working as I am more alert etc.

Ideally my goal is come of the drug altogether and I think the key is to make your heart stronger by eating

better and more importantly exercising ( yoga is very good to improve heart muscle) .

All drugs have side effects, but by keeping fit and eating healthy will I believe , negate the effects. Hope this

has helped

• Posted

Many thanks! The itching rash is subsiding. As is the dizziness. I have been told to try TELMISARTAN as an alternatve, but I will investigate Q10 ubiqunol for sure.

The aim is have no pills at all too! But the docs tell me they will keep us alive - so....!??!!

Best regards.

• Posted

my husband has just been admitted to hospital hes tongue had swollen so much it was life threatning but once they give him steriod it is going down they said they think its ramipril even though he has been on it for years apparently sister has had 7 cases before through ramipril

• Posted

After my bypass the hospital replaced Lisinopril which i had taken for years wirh Ramipril... I now have an awful cough, sore throat and little pink blemishes on my feet. I do not understand why i was taken off Lisinopril for this alternative it is awful. After reading this forum i will be asking my gp to switch me back. Fingers crossed
  • Posted

Hello,

After a heart valve replacement, I was put on Ramipril.All was fine for 3months,then after an angioplasty on leg, I began to itch all over by body. Creams do dot effect me,The whole experience is terrible with constant scratching and bleeding to arms and legs.Also have lost taste.I have just been told by consultant

to stop this drug-I really hope it works, as I cannot put up with this.

• Posted

I had the same. My cardio guy said "can you live with it". Of course I could, but it was quite awful. There are alternatives - the Sartan family of drugs. But after 6 months or so it all went away and I did not have to change horses in mid stream. I'm OK now.

Good luck.

• Posted

The problem that I see is that the giving of a pill is an instant answer, it does not require life style changes, which is primarily what is required, there are processes going on in the body that are a consequence of ageing and eating habits, unfortunately we have brough this on ourselves, if the side effects are severe then you might consider switching to a drug called I think Losartin
  • Posted

I too was proscribed Ramipril, initially 5mg, and the 10mg by my GP, almost two years ago.

No cough has developed thank goodness, but I do suffer with sore spots on my back and tummy/chest area which never seem to heal, and bleed a lot if scratched.

I think the drug is also responsible for intensely sore soles of my feet during warmer weather.

As an aside, I was proscribed Amlopodine originally which disturbed my sleep patterns terribly - GP said no it's not the drug.......until he consulted his BNF, which lists sleep problems as a side effect!                      

• Posted

Doctors just go by what drugs reps tell them. They don't have the time to do the research themselves.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.