Side effects of Terbinafine

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi all,

I started taking Terbinafine in April 2016 for a toenail fungus.  I didn't want to remove my toenail or do anything topically because I wanted to get to the root of it.  Biggest.  Mistake.  Ever!!!  During the time I was taking it I was super careful and didn't consume alcohol, dairy or caffeine.  I wanted to give my body the support it needed to rid the fungus and not feel the wrath to my liver.  I started notice my taste buds slacking early on which led to weight loss. I'll mention that prior to I LOVED to cook, however with my taste buds skewed I lost all interest.   I was only 123 lbs to begin with at 5'7".  By late Spring I was down to 118, sometimes dipping to 115.  I soldiered on so as to rid my toes of the fungus.  Two months in I experienced the most awful gastric pains, like needles stabbing into my stomach along with sores on my gums and roof of my mouth.  I feel that it was also affecting the absorption of my thyroid medication which disrupted my whole body basically.  I stopped taking it immediately.  Fast forward to January 2017 and I'm still dealing with the damage that's been done.  Please rethink using this medication.  I would certainly consider laser, topical treatments, vix vapor rub, etc.  It's just not worth what it promises.  Ugh.  Please share your experience if you like.  Thank you.

Jen

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience after treatment with oral Terbinafine. Hopefully some others will read this before considering taking this drug. 

I was treated some years back with Terbinafine and it caused nausea even though my liver values were monitored regularly. Many patients with nail fungus are not aware that this drug can have serious side effects that outweigh its therapeutic effects. 

• Posted

Hi , I it's Day 5 and am taking terbinafine lamisil (Novartis)... just have one fingernail affected, and I work in finance so it has been a mess hiding it for years, i hope it does work... and no serious side effect with it.... any tips guys???

had been prescr. 3 months... pill... 6 month cream... before tired everything... lotion, jublia, nail lacquer nothing worked....

i remember, hitting the nail bad at gym suddently in metal bar... in 2013 ... then it looks like it was opened for fungus...

trying to eat healthy little to  no meat... no dairy. drank alcohol 1x week, now will stop... 

thanks

Marco

• Posted

Hi Marco, at least you have tried alternative methods and are aware that there might be side effects. Personally, I would not take oral Lamisil again but that is only me given my history with this drug.

Chances are that if you are fit and healthy you will tolerate your treatment with Lamisil. Make sure that you monitor yourself carefully for side effects like nausea, loss of taste, etc.

I is a good idea to stop drinking alcohol while taking Lamisil to give your liver a headstart.    

I will send you a private message detailing how to make Lamisil cream more efficient when used externally on the nail. 

• Posted

Thank you so much Dan.

Day 7: I had mild hot flashes on certain parts of my body (upper left arm, liver area too) and (even today at work)  when I went to bed yesterday, I got a bit anxious for no reason but certainly mild factors. maybe I was still hungry because I worked out yesterday...  I can tell there is a drug in my system as I listen carefully to my body. no other effects, still hungry, sleepy, eager to eat,  etc... 

I am in Montreal, Canada, and it's grey everyday and slushy snow all the time so definetely that WON'T help lol smile 

Will do for alcohol and will answer your PM! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.