Side effects of unilateral Adrenalectomy?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Does anyone know if having one adrenal gland can affect estrogen levels? Since I had an adrenal gland removed with my kidney last year I have had only 2 periods in 12 months. I have been told I have low estrogen. I have looked up some info online about It but it's all very confusing. Thanks everyone. I hope you get answers to your questions soon biggrin

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Low estrogen and adrenal gland problems - I never thougt that my low estrogen could affect the adrenal gland function or vise versa.  

• Posted

Adrenal glands are responsible for making hormones – substances that make other cells in the body respond in various ways. The hormones produced by the adrenal glands include aldosterone, cortisol, epinephrine and norepinephrine. The adrenal glands also make small amounts of the sex hormones testosterone and oestrogen but it’s in small quantity. Adrenalectomy could not be the reason for your problem. Oestrogen is produced mainly in the ovaries. Kindly consult your doctor, he can initiate the proper treatment for you.
  • Posted

I just found this out yesterday...in a women estrogen is mainly made in the ovaries, some estrogens are also produced in smaller amounts by other tissues such as the liver, adrenal glands, and the breasts. But the adrenal glands give women their testosterone source. Conversly, in a man, testosterone is made primarily in the testes and his source of estrogen comes from the adrenal glands. Men have slightly larger adrenal glands than women. I have read that adrenal fatigue can make PMS worse.
    • Posted

That may explain perhaps why I had a life time of pain during my periods?  Adrenal glands not functioning properly?  (and they don't)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.