Side effects of venlafaxine withdrawal

Posted , 4 users are following.

I was prescribed venlafaxine for depression, started with 75mg and ended to 378mg/day also on Ritalin 60mg/day for short term memory and concentration deficits. I ended up to do not remember and recognize my son in law messages !!! My psychiatrist easily said me " she cannot do anything about my memory " after putting me on there strong medication over 7 years.

I started to get rid of these medications month ago, if I am right! I have read your comments about the side effects which has helped me a lot but I could find something about the odd feelings that I feel in my brain, like frequency of some sort of waves in my brain, never the less, now, it's a forth day of being free of Venlafaxine and Ritalin.

Appreciate your comments that is needed most.

thx  

0 likes, 29 replies

29 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi   Please go very slowly when tappering off medications - my husband was taken off Venflafaxine cold turkey by our GP (only on it for 7 weeks) as he started to have slurred speech. Scans proved it wasnt a stroke but speech is now non existant sad . Was then put on Pregabalin which stopped his walking as well ! Seems a huge coincidence that this has happened to him after these drugs but Neurologist is testing for MND sad Good luck but please go slowly.

• Posted

Oh Janet I'm so sorry for you and your husband I do hope he is well soon. You are right about slow withdrawal. GPs don't seem to have a clue with psychiatric meds. My GP recommended halving it, I soon became ill. Thankfully I went back on the previous dose and recovered. I'm now reducing very slowly. I had no GP guidance this time, I opened the capsules I take and worked the reductions out myself.

All the best x

• Posted

Hi, sorry to hear about ur husband. Actually, I got a very bad pain on my back b/w shoulders which I don't know why I got that! pain was dull and just at section didn't radiate to over my hand or chest. 

I am going to see a psychiatrist very soon, to know, how long it takes, I come back to my normal life! Now,  I think it's a week  or maybe 5 days that I am free of those two strong pills. In overall, today was a little bit better.  

• Posted

I missed my med 2 days and today I went to go pick it up. I took it asap. I felt horrible. Crying, emotional, loss of time in years. Sick to my stomach.
    • Posted

That's true, that's the side effects when u miss that. I remember too, when I missed ven, I was very sensitive, fast and easy to cry ( nonstop). Headache and no energy to move. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.