Side Effects - Remeron (Mirt) Causing Joints & Swollen Throat

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi out there!

Is any body having loose or aching joints or having difficulty swollowing/swollen throat?

Soon after starting Mirt 9 weeks ago I began to have an aching throat which developed into problems with swollowing, this has stayed with me. Also my left knee joint has become very loose and now 'clicks' a lot when I first start to walk, my lower back also aches and also my skin is quite sensitive. I was also used to walking 4k each morning and now am exhausted at 2k.

I have been on 30mg for 8.5 wks prescribed for my deep depression from work and an operation I had last December. The Mirt has helped the depression but not a great deal, becuase the side effects I get keep me from relaxing on the med. Has anybody else experienced these side effects?

Many thanks for reading and always take care and try to keep your spirits high

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Norman,

I have been on Mirt for depression for 8 days now. I have suffered from this on some occasions since 1998 having depressive episodes in situations where I feel no control of the situation - big life changing events like a marriage break up and more recently losing my job of 6 years which I loved (a pity that I wasn't loved by my boss but that's another story).

Since taking Mirt I can say that it has been very good for me and much better than SSRIs which gave me pretty crap insomnia. Then again, no medicine is perfect and without side effects so I recommend talking to your doctor to see if your ailments are a result of the Mirt or some other issue.

Stay strong,

Luke

• Posted

I get a pain in my left knee and my left foot - but I thoudht that was my age - I am 60.
    • Posted

It might be something related to another ailment - but to be honest, the best thing really is to talk to the doctor as he/she can probably give an authorative answer on what is causing the problem. Mirt might cause joint pain but the side effects vary from person to person.
  • Posted

I can so relate to this!!

I have been on Mirt for about 5 weeks now.

I started on 30mg but the side effects are horrendous for me - it started with just a few aches, that gradually got worse by the day until every muscle in my body hurt (even my fingers and toes) and had put on almost a stone in weight. After 3wks on 30mg I had a follow up appointment with the Doctor, after mentioning all the problems I was having, he decreased my dose to 15mg and said a reduced dose would help with the side effects - it did for a few days, but the past week all of the above side effects have returned and are again getting worse each day.

I am going to stop taking them.  Yes - I do feel I need something for my low moods - but my Doctor was reluctant to change the medication and the side effects are making me feel terrible physically.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.