side effects while tapering down prednisone

Posted , 11 users are following.

I was wondering if other people get the side effects I feel when lowering prednisone.  I am trying to lower 1 mg per month and am having trouble getting past 9mgs.  On my second day of tapering I get all fuzzy minded, very tired and do not feel like doing anything, this continues on for about 1 week, not improving, then I give up and up the dose to 9mgs again. I thought 1 mg would not make such a difference to my feelings.  The pain in legs and arms seem to be quite mild, not troubling me at all, just this feeling of malaise I cannot seem to shake off.

rolleyes

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I am confused about this tapering thing.  I have never been pain free.  Just trying to taper without increasing pain and disability to the point I can't tolerate.  Should I have different goal?  Pain free?  I wobble when I walk; have balance issues;  when I turn over at night, I wake up from discomfort.  But I'm still tapering .  . .

• Posted

Is it pain, or stiffness? Pred will help with the pain, but not necessarily the stiffness. I have never felt 'cured', even when on reasonably high doses of pred.

The goal is to get to the lowest possible dose while still keeping the symptoms of PMR at bay. For some people that might be 20mg, others 1mg. Only you can know what pain you are in. The goal is NOT to stop taking pred, merely to control the symptoms.

• Posted

Hi,

I also wobble when I walk, had a bad fall about 5 weeks ago, we have to be so careful, I also have balance issues, night pain is not as bad as it was, I have started on the DSNS method and tapering very slowly now, see how I go with it.

Hope you find some comfort soon.

T

• Posted

Try Nordic walking poles, they help you to walk and also help the balance problem.

Tai Chi is also good, particularly with balance problems, but make sure the instructor knows about PMR as there are different types of Tai Chi

Have you tried Aqua Aerobics - again make sure instructor understands about PMR.

• Posted

Chen style tai chi, short form, is what we learn here.  You just do what you can.  If you can only bend your knee a little bit, that's what you do.  Back is always kept straight, and knee always to be aligned with toes when bending.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.