Side effecys of methotrexate

Posted , 5 users are following.

3 weeks on methotrexate right knee hurts worse than before taking medicine the other my right foot that went away but now my left knee hurts are this effects normal to have more pain till I get use to it

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I was on mtx for several months before we got the pain and fatigue under control. During that time we tinkered with the dosage. Also, watch your stress level. When I am under stress my symptoms tend to increase. And be sure to get adequate sleep. That helps. It just takes time to get things under control. Be sure to communicate your symptoms to your rheumatologist. 

best wishes......

• Posted

Hi

i agree with Timothy. It takes up to 12 weeks to work and dose may need to be increased esp if RA pain increasing as you mention. I was given a second dmard after 12 weeks to take as well. So important to keep in touch with rheumy and keep a diary of joints affected, length of stiffness, increase in pain. 

• Posted

Hi, I was on methotrexate for one week and ended up in A and E, terrible gut problems, it was stopped, and now on Benepali injections it's great stuff.

• Posted

Hi there Timothy, I was on line last week discussing the fact t,hat I felt really horrendous, my liver count was up and I had been told by rheumatology to stop all meds( etanercept a methotrexate) been on etanercept for about 10 years and thought it was a wonder drug, methotrexate recently doubled in march. Well, the reason I felt so ill is that I had double pneumonia, in hospital for 8 days never been so ill. Trouble is, I didn't have the usual pneumonia symptoms, cough and fever and coughing up gunk, (sorry) so underwent bronchoscope to see what sort of bacteria had caused this. Won't know for 4 weeks, but consultant is not willing to rule out damage to lungs caused by medication (immunosuppressant) am off all meds now waiting for results. So just beware all you RA sufferers out there, if you have side effects, it is your body trying to tell you that that particular drug is not good for you. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.