Side lay

Posted , 6 users are following.

When can I lay on my side , with pillows of course ?

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

I can't lay on my side yet but I do rest my leg on it's side from time to time. I'm still experimenting with the most comfortable positions to rest my ankle. I change positions every 2 hours it feels like lol.

• Posted

Hi Christina

You can lay on your side if you have a cast or boot while you're NWB. Also when you are PWB without a boot. I am week13 post ankle surgery, plate and 6 screws. I walk unaided now. Slept on my side since week 1 while in cast.

Brigitte

• Posted

Partial weight bearing. That is usually after week 6, but it can be earlier
    • Posted

My injury is my right leg (the driving leg). I was 6 weeks NWB in a cast, another 6 weeks PWB in a boot. I am in my shoes since last week FWB and I am walking without a limp. However, I have to wait probably another few weeks until I will be confident to drive. 
    • Posted

Hi Christina.I had an ankle fusion and I think recovery time is about the same as a break.I was NWB in a cast for 7 weeks and then NWB in a boot for 6 weeks followed by PWB in a boot for a further 7 weeks.I gradually walked with crutches and had strengthening exercises with a physiotherapist.It was a further month before I felt confident enough to drive.I was advised to not drive until I could do an emergency stop.As regards sleeping on your side try putting a pillow between your legs for your bad leg to rest on.I do hope you have a speedy recovery with no problems.Best wishes Nonita
    • Posted

I found it difficult to sleep on my side too. But found putting a pillow between my legs made it so comfortable to do, so no probs after that.  Still kept leg elevated though. good luck sx
  • Posted

Are y'all saying 5 months before driving? Mine is my right ankle (driving foot).

• Posted

Hi Christina.On average it does take between 4 and 5 months to drive if your right foot is involved.When I eventually did drive I found it easier to drive than to walk.It really does depend on how much movement you have in your ankle and how much pressure you can use.Good luck for a speedy recovery.Nonita
    • Posted

mine is he right foot too. Cant wait to be able to get behind the wheel again, so fed up of being around the house. sx
  • Posted

I'm 17 mos out with a trimal - surgery, plate and screws. It took until about month 6 to sleep on my side. I've been doing great since about month 13. Hang in there! People who do well don't usually stay on this forum. I check in every few months just to tell people it's a long haul but you can be 99% some day! I can do anything I used to do and am 57 years old. Wishing you all the best! It's an adventure you'll never forget. I wish I videoed progress weekly to be able to help people by showing them on you tube.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.