Sight loss help please!

Posted , 6 users are following.

About 18months ago I lost my sight in my left eye for approx 2weeks. Then it gradually returned to about 95%. The GP thought MS but the neurologist turned me away. So I was discharged with no help

2 weeks ago my sight went again in the same eye it is slowly returning any ideas of what could be causing this? It is starting to worry me and the GP just says to wait and see what happens!

I hope someone may have some ideas as I think I will have to go with some idea of what it may be and ask them to refer me.

Thank you all in advance

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I'm amazed that your GP has not referred you to an Ophthalmologist.  If you are in UK and getting nowhere with your doctor ,then go to A/E. They can refer you to Ophthalmology.        

• Posted

It sounds like optic neuritis (swelling of your optic nerve)

Normally it gets better on its own, but I'm surprised too that your GP didn't refer you to an opthamologist.  Do get it checked out for peace of mind.

• Posted

If this happens again go straight to A/E. Dont bother with your doctor. This was the advice that my own doctor gave me when I had a similar episode. GPs dont have the necessary equipment for looking into eyes.

In the mean time do go to your doctor and ask for a referral to an Ophthalmologist. As louise says it might be optic neuritis but there are other reasons for temporary sight loss and you need to be diagnosed properly. 

• Posted

Thank you all for taking the time to reply. My doctor has sent me to urgently see a neurologist so hopefully we will answers soon
    • Posted

Thought you had already seen a neurologist??. Why not an ophthalmologist?     Do let us know how you get on. I am interested.
    • Posted

Hi Marina Dee,

I did see a neurologist and they discharged me back to GP. So I have now been sent back on urgent referral (they wanted me to go that night however I couldn't get childcare). As for the ophthalmologist I really don't know why they haven't referred me maybe I should ask the neurologist when I meet them?

• Posted

Yes,good idea...maybe they could refer you on to an ophthalmologist.  i'm wondering if you have other symptoms you havent told us about and that is why your GP has insisted on Neurology rather than OPhthalmology.

• Posted

god that's awful!! Can't beleive you've been turned away with such a symptom. If it happens again go straight to eye casualty. You cannot take any chances with eyesight. I had uveitis once, called Moorfields in the early hours of morning and said most of my peripheral vision was gone. They said get down here and get it checked. That is awful. If you live in UK you will also have a local optician who can triage your eyes to save you doing a big wait at a+e. They are great. They can diagnose things like neuritis or uveitis. Go see them especially if you get any other symptoms. x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.