sigmoid colectomy in April '17

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all,  I am having surgery early April since i have complicated diverticulitis - w/perforation.  I am healthy other wise and just lost a lot of weight in preperation ...

Can anyone tell me what i can expect after I get home - i have twins 13 yrs olds and single.... can i still care for them or will i need help?  How long till i can drive?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hello.  So happy you have decided to have the surgery.  I had my Sigmoid Colectomy 4 weeks ago and feeling so good.  I posted my story, but just waiting for it to be approved.

• Posted

Hi Caroline,  I look forward to reading your story - when you got home from the hosptial how did you feel the first week or so?

• Posted

Hi , sorry but what exactly is Sigmoid Colectomy please ?
    • Posted

The colon contains the ascending colon, the descending colon and the sigmoid colon, which is the lowest bit, parallel to the ground and is where most diverticula are usually found.  A Sigmoid Colectomy is where this bottom bit is removed, and and the two remaining bits usually joined up.  Sometimes a temporary bag (a stoma) is put in place whilst te patient heals, and sometimes the stoma is permanent. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.