Sigmoid colon removed

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello my name is Patty I had my colon resection done 10 inch of sigmoid bc of diverticulitis attacks on Aug 30 2016 .I need to know did anyone have rectum pressure lieing sitting and going to bathroom all day long also having pressure with urine its so annoying and painful. I also would like to know did your bowel change consistency and texture. And still going to bashful enemy ifs for a little 4x in half hr at times .I also have abdominal pain hiw long does it take to feel better.Thanks Patty

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

• Posted

Hi patty sorry to hear about all your problems

You should also try colon cancer survivors on the net where you can talk to people who has went through what your going through and hopefully answer your questions

Take care

Kevin

• Posted

Thanks Kevin would I find that topic on this feed .I hope your doing well Thanks for your feed back.Patty
    • Posted

Hi patty

Just key in to your search engine (Colon cancer survival stories) and that will take you to cancer trust stories in your country there stories are amazing and shows people with different barriers they had to cross etc also you can ask questions about your experience with cancer and also people will give you advise etc as there are many going through what your are going through

Take care

• Posted

Kevin I hsd diverticulitis and had multiple 3 attacks within a year that's the reason they told me if I would wait possibly could have perforated bowel that's why I had to have my sigmoid colon removed thank God there wasn't any cancer. Can you tell me did you have diverticulitis and have your sigmoid removed for that reason any of this operation

• Posted

Hi

I see now patty my mum had that and she was hospitalised a few times very painful sorry I thought you had colon cancer resection but what you had was just the same hope you get an answer and your health gets back to normal soon

Take care

• Posted

Thanks Kevin I think they do the same operation for colon cancer and diverticulitis they remove part of the colon which is the sigmoid which I have taken out I hope all is well worth you and your family
  • Posted

I've had 3 flare ups of diverticularitist within the last couple of months, I haven't been suggested for surgery yet, however it sounds like it's caused you much more symptoms. So sorry for you x

• Posted

Trisha Thanks sometimes I just think maybe they just offer surgery and put these fears in your head that this can happen that could happen
  • Posted

Hello Patty I too had colon resection 7/6/16; removed all 12 in. of sigmoid colon; having problem pooing now surgeon put me on Miralax daily - indefinitely. Miralax is causing heart to have arrythmia issues and also physically ill unable to resume activities. I see you had 10 in. of sigmoid removed; are you using Miralax? or are you able to poo w/o assistance? Like you, I do have pressure with urine and also abdominal pain/swelling. Thanks to you. Jade.
  • Posted

Well patty, that's my even now on my 7th diverticularitist flare up in 7 months, been referred to a consultant, however reading your story makes me wonder if surgery is worth it, would you do it again or just keep having flare ups? I'm still not too sure, there is the risk of being rushed in to hospital for operation anyway and with a higher chance of needing a colostomy.

• Posted

Hi Trish. I was rushed to e.r. after not being told as far back as 2012 and perhaps prior - that I had already (in med. records only and not told during office appts.) been dx'd with diverticulosis. I hope patty60973 is doing very well!  Outcome of not knowing dx back in '12, and therefore being unable to change eating habits, increase physical activity and also add a stool softener due to poop issues, I developed a serious abscess in colon that fell into vaginal cavity, and had to have e.r. surgery. I was rushed into surgery after e.r.  I because I never was told diverticulosis dx. ended up after several yrs. of suffering and not knowing what was wrong with Diverticulitis and an abscess that had to be removed - scar now from belly button down into pubic area. Have read of other people having to be operated on in this manner, instead of laporoscopic because of where the infection was - in vaginal cavity. Still unable to poop w/o Miralax. And Miralax is causing me heart palps, and overall physical unwellness (malaise) not suppose to take Miralax more than 7 da. (on bottle) and drs. although they are, are not suppose to recommend to children (on bottle too). I hope all great things for you trisha87499. If there is anything I can share with you to help, please message me. Jade. 

• Posted

Thank you so much jade, I suppose I am in a slightly better position than yourself as I was diagnosed years ago, but only now getting all the flare ups, I know that if I don't have intervention then there is a much greater risk of serious complications, however I don't like the idea of all the toilet problems again. Xx

• Posted

So appreciative of your reply trisha87499. And yes, you sound like you are in a much better position being dx'd yrs. ago. I hope you'll refer to earlier posts about my history. Message me anytime, if you have questions that I may be able to answer only from my personal experience.  I wish you the absolute best Trish! Please take good care of your self, and colon, I know you are. Living w/o sigmoid is for me like a slow death sentence and yet I am still suckin' air. smile Xx 

• Posted

Do you know what though, you have still kept your sense of humour and not many people can say that, and I really do appreciate your offer of contact, I will take you up on that xxxx what was your recovery time after the operation?
    • Posted

Yes, I know that surgery in one area (the abscess) was necesarry therefore worth it; for flare-ups IIIII dddooonnn'ttt know 'bout that, hon. And, I use to literally be a professional clown $60 per 30 min.  So humor comes easily for me, even during rough circumstances as now, Trish87499.  Hey the worst is I'll continue to not do so well w/this problem & continue having to take PEG3350 (Miralax) and continue to stay sick, awful and probable.  See surgeon again, today he post-op performed another colonoscopy on 10/28/16 and he said he found nothing and also a CT w/Contrast and also found nothing to cause severe constipation issues. It's important to note that I fired his colleague who did the actual sigmoid removal, etc. His colleague has a history of misogynistic behaviors, and I wasn't havin' notta of it LOL. So, his colleague took over, and recovery time well was in hospital for 4 days/3 nights and had home health. I still feel I am trying so hard and am still  in recovery; have not felt that surgery was a success by no stretch of the imagination Trish87499.  I hope your flare-ups cease and that you start feeling better; again Xx smile back to you, and I'm here when you need a battle buddy so to speak. Jade

• Posted

I certainly will Jade, thank you, I go to see consultant on Monday the 19th, all my results of ct scan and colonoscopy will be available 🐶, supposedly! Lol so will take it from there.

• Posted

Saw surgeon and with great resolve, I am now off Miralax, and on Senakot-S (natural) still harmful when taken daily, and I am taken it daily, or I cannot poop w/o sigmoid colon; and mentally/cognitively doing some better; however poo issues still remain - straining, digging, etc. Look forward Trisha87499 to hearing from you re: what your tests show when you see dr. on Monday. Hopefully, you will share results and I do care about your colon issues and about you, precious one, Trisha. Jade.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.