Sigmoidoscopy not that bad

Posted , 2 users are following.

I had a sigmoidoscopy yesterday  and I can honestly say it wasn't that bad.

i was absolutely dreading it, imagining how awful it would be, having sleepless nights anxiety and panic leading up to it, well I shouldn't of. 

After arriving and having my blood pressure taken I changed in to a gown and shorts that open at the back, my nurse was lovely and I told her how anxious I was , although I think my heart rate at 120 told her that!!! The doctor came and spoke to me about the procedure then I went through to the room where it was to be carried out.

i laid on my left side, was asked to curl my legs up, the doctor inserted a lubricated finger in to my rectum and did a quick exam then she inserted the sigmoidoscopy to be honest the finger felt far worse than the sigmoidoscopy going in, I couldn't even feel the sigmoidoscopy going along, suddenly I did feel what I can only describe as a bad period pain but within a few seconds it was gone. It felt weird and my insides felt quite hot but not really painful, within a few minutes I was told the sigmoidoscopy was fully inserted, I couldn't believe it , all that worry and it wasn't anywhere near as bad as id thought, then slowly the sigmoidoscopy was bought back out examining along the way, I watched it pain free on the tv, the only feeling I had was actually at my anus it felt like pressure there but no pain. It really wasn't that bad and over in 5 minutes. I could go it again no problem . 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post this account of your recent Sigmoidoscopy. I have an appointment for this procedure later this week and am feeling incredibly anxious. It was good to read a more positive account of this scary procedure.

I'm also very worried about the self-administered enema.

Anyway, thanks again. It's reassuring to know that it doesn't have to be a totally grim experience.

• Posted

Oh and the enema what a disappointment, I was sent 2 to be used at the same time then lay on my left side and wait. Well I thought this was going to more or less be instant but actually it was nearly an hour before anything happened , then it was pretty pathetic really went once and done, nowhere near what I had been imagining , no pain no cramps no explosion just one trip and done. So again don't worry it's all fine .

• Posted

Yes, the whole enema thing is really concerning me. Again, good to know it may not be too awful and painful. 

I'm not going to read any other probably more dire stories as it's much better to be positive. It was unusual to read your account of the procedure as people on forums generally tend only to comment if they've had an unpleasant experience.

So your input has been really valuable; to others also, I hope.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.