Signed off work by Doctor but self employed

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi I've been signed off work by the doctor, pretty much at his insistance although I didn't put much up of a fight at my appointment as I am so tired and defeated. I was diagnosed with depression and anxiety in September and initially refused medication but am now taking. I am self employed running my own company and was therefore wondering if anyone else has had a sick note for depression whilst self employed and if anyone knows if there is any finacnial help? One of the reasons I resisted being signed off initially was because part of the reasons for my anxiety is financial worries as my husband was off sick for nearly 5 months this year. 

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi ssk

you will qualify for contribution based employment sickness benefit if in the UK. They will ask for sick certs for the first six weeks.

Sorry you having a bad time of it and really wish you a speedy recovery.

Lorraine xx

• Posted

First of  all contact the Mental Health Foundation and also Mind and your Citizen's Advice Bureau. All of these associations should be able to offer some sort of help.

You don't say what caused your depression and anxiety. Why was your husband off work for nearly 5 months. Finally, what do you do on a self employed basis annd what medication did your GP give you?

• Posted

My depression was buidling up over nearly 2 years having suffered a miscarriage and my husband's illness- he was rushed into hospital in Spain and I was told he had complete kidney failure which turned out to be false. He actually suffered a severe magnesium deficiency caused by medication given to him following a misdiagnosis by the GP (not the same one I am seeing).

I run my own language and music school so as well as teaching I do most of the admin side too. I also do a lot of travelling which is when I am suffering panic attacks the most especially flying. I'm taking sertraline (150mg) and dizapam for the anxiety.

• Posted

Quite frankly, I think you need to take a break or alternatively get someone to help you with the school for say 6 months.  What effect does the medication have on you? Do you feel your situation has improved at all or that the medication has made no difference. If the latter then you need to return to your GP and ask for alternative medication. You can't go on as you are. To be honest if you don't get sorted you are likely to have a breakdown and you don't want that. Do as I first suggested and contact the Mental Health Foundation etc. Help is not going to come to you, you need to go out and seek it.
  • Posted

Hi if you have paid your National Insurance Contributions then you should get ESA contribution based.   If you haven't then you are unlikely to get anything.  This would usually only be for a maximum of 6 months then it would change to ESA income based and all income coming into your household would be taken into account.  Have a look on the Govt. site  https://www.gov.uk/
  • Posted

Hi I tried to put up a post with a link to the official govt. website and it is still waiting to be moderated!  Just google it though and it should tell you what you need to know.  x
  • Posted

Hi Thanks for the advice - I have spoken to HMRC and they are evaluating my claim at the moment.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.