Signs of a stroke?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi I recently went to my GP as was told I more than likely had carpal tunnel syndrome after a work medical  (I work with jackhammers etc) upon seeing the GP my Doctor says he didn’t agree with the diagnosis and suspected something a bit more sinister (a stroke) my only real symptoms are no grip strength in right hand and unable to extend toes on right side! I have an urgent MRI booked for tomo but can anyone give me any ideas what it could be? Thanks 

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Be very glad they are looking. You have a good doctor. I had 2 TIAS (mini strokes)  I was checked and doctors said they didn't find anything. a few months later I had a very debilitating stroke. If they had treated me for stroke...diet change, and 2 meds.  One for cholesterol, and blood pressure medicine and low dose aspirin. It would have prevented it. 

Consider asking your doc for it if it is even possible, so you can try aggressive treatment.

Good luck and God Bless

• Posted

I went to the docs expecting to get sent for a nerve conduction test to confirm Carpal tunnel syndrome and he ended up telling me he thinks it’s something worse and signed me off! Completely unexpected and I haven’t had any pain and it hasn’t really affected me. I occasionally get tingles down my leg whilst lying in bed at night and the only other real symptoms are reduced grip strength in right hand and unable to point toes on right foot, although my wife does think I am more forgetful! MRI is today at 4 but reading through the many comments it seems they rarely find things in MRI scans 
  • Posted

I had an MRI. I also had slightly elevated blood pressure and cholesterol. The MRI didn't show anything. They sent me home. My symptoms had been numbness on the left side both times.

A few months later the stroke happened, and the entire left side of my body from my head to my toes have been numb for over a year now. After it happened they gave me a Cat Scan that confirmed a brain bleed on my right side.

It makes me really sad to think an 80 mg aspirin could have prevented it.

It's safer to err on the side of caution.

Good luck

• Posted

I agree with Lorraine, having the MRI will discount anything more sinister. What was your BP like?  If you were having a stroke it would likely be high. Have you had confusion, unsteadiness, slurring of speech etc. 

The Carpal Tunnel thought sounds more likely to me.

Take care and let us know the results. 

• Posted

Hi, callum...I wanted to mention something else. I also had surgery for carpal tunnel on both hands. I had it for over 15 years. It didn't feel the same. Foot or toe tingles were not part of it. Remember, 80mg aspirin can be a small price for prevention. As well as cholesterol and blood pressure meds, if your doctor suggests it.

The effect of the stroke has affected my life forever. I would give almost anything to be able to go back and have a chance to prevent it. I am so limited on doing any activity. It is a hard way to live. I have to fight depression as well.

Don't leave any stone unturned. 

• Posted

Hi. I just looked up some info on carpal tunnel affecting the feet or toes. There is a separate condition called tarsal tunnel for the feet or toes. I couldn't find any confirmation that you could have both conditions at one time.

Please, let us know what you find out.

Good luck and God bless

• Posted

Hi thanks for the info Lorraine i had my MRI on Saturday and have been told the results are back today! Unfortunately the receptionist can’t tell me anything over the phone and I have booked an appointment with the GP I’m guessing the fact it is back so quick is good news! So I remain hopeful 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.